Trip to John Davis Woodturning Centre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided to make the 70 mile trip down to Stockbridge for the Robert Sorby day at Jon Davis Woodturning. I must say the reception was very welcoming. The Demo was by a guy called Chris from Sorby (sorry didn't get the surname). Very entertaining although I would have preferred more turning and less anecdotes.

A couple of tools that were demonstrated caught my eye and I was wondering if any here have experience/comments about them
1. Sorby Spindle Master. This looks like a scraper but has a 30 degree bevel like a spindle gouge with fingernail grind. It was described as a solution for those who have problems with a skew as it prevents the catches by not having heel and toe points.

2, Sorby Point Master. This is a round shafted tool that has three flat bevels at 120 degrees to each other and comes to a point at the tip. It can be used to clean up end grain, make v grooves and do fine work like beads.

Better to learn the skew IMO, there is a lot of satisfaction in mastering it I find.
Alan Lacer is a US turner who is a recognised skew expert. He has DVDs. But he also has a Youtube short video that gives tips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzkCCDgXqtQ Look how he has sharpened the skew the heel is cut well back to help reduce catches.

Brian

Hi

I have the Spindlemaster - it does what they say and is pretty good on pine and other softwoods. That said it's no substitute for a skew and spindle gouges, it's sharpening method of diamond filing the top surface would result ina fairly short lived tool, (although when I bought mine Sorby said it would be reprofiled FOC as required). In the light of experience it's one of my tools that falls into the 'gimick' category and as such does not see a lot of use. I do reach for it on the odd occasions I'm turning pine though.

The detail point tool is on my 'wish list', I can see it better fulfilling tasks I currently use a parting tool or skew for.

Regards Mick

Agreed that, in my opinion anyway, the spindlemaster is an unnecessary gimmick, and the three point tools are easily and cheaply made at home with piece of silver steel for not many pounds and will be more than up to the limited use it will get.

Stick to the basic tools and learn how to use them properly, most others are just marketing based solutions looking for a problem to part you from your pennies !

Cheers, Paul

Thanks for the comments guys. I am working on my skew so not giving it up. just wondered if the master was another gimmick or if it had some use as it would not be hard to make one from an old scraper. As for the point tools I agree it would be a simple job to grind three flat bevels on a round bar. and make a nice handle for it:).
would certainly be a lot cheaper than buying the Sorby ones

Back