Refurbishing old screwdrivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenr

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some old screwdrivers some which are wooden handled. Over the years they have been abused and I would like to refurbish them. I have a job lot of old shipyard brass screws which I bought in 1973 and I have been using these over the years particularly outdoors. Old styled wooden handled screwdrivers seem to be in keeping.

Are they worth restoring; like planes are older pieces better/more durable than their modern B&Q euivalent? A while ago, I read a string on this site praising the virtues.

The blades on some are damaged. I have tried regrinding a couple; but without being able to make a good job of it. I read on another site that the blades should be file but how to make the faces square and to finish the end. I have a Tormek but doubt that I have an appropriate jig.

Some guidance would be much appreciated.

Regards
Richard

Are you grinding them for left or right handed use ? :-k

Sorry - couldn't resist. I'll get my coat.

I refurbish a lot of old screwdrivers, particularly the quality worked oval handled ones.
I use my Tormek to profile both sides of the blade end so that they are even; then grind a new square tip very carefully and check it under a glass. I alway measure the tip so that I can give the size when I sell the SD
Next is a fine flap wheel on the shank and ferrule, finishing with a soft foam 220 grit block for the hard to get at bits.
Depending on how bad the handles are it is either just burnish with steel wool and wax or sometimes scrape all the old finish off and several coats of blonde shellac.
Ends that have been damaged by hitting are difficult and I usually avoid these; if not too bad careful work with rasp or file to get a nice shape is all.

I spend more time on the boxwood ones as these are the best sellers; you would be amazed at the numbe of screwdriver collectors out there :)
Cheers,
Martin

Martin

Many thanks for the response. One immediate question do you use one of the Tormek jigs, if so which one; or do you freehand?

Regards
Richard

I would dump the lot, that is what i did the other day. trew arround 20 screwdrivers out

new ones have much more hardend tip,

Hi McLuma
Some of those old screwdrivers make around £15-£20 each when I am done with them, depending on type.... 8)
Cheers,
Martin

well some of my screwdrives are that price as well,

but then they can also withstand 400V :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no seriously, the new ones are much harder tipped, but if you are only using brass screws, you will not notice the difference, so you will be ok,

I just cannot see the point of spendng hours in modifying something that is not worth modifying.

Mcluma":zkbkbjyw said:
well some of my screwdrives are that price as well,

but then they can also withstand 400V :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no seriously, the new ones are much harder tipped, but if you are only using brass screws, you will not notice the difference, so you will be ok,

I just cannot see the point of spendng hours in modifying something that is not worth modifying.

Hi I can see your point about the time but what if you want to restore something to use it or simply because you like it surely the time doesn't come into it then. I am buying second hand tools some damaged some not as I don't like some of the prices for new ones or the fact they have lots of plastic bits !!. just a thought

To all,

This site caters to many different interests as you know. There are many extemely skilled and knowledgeable members and by contrast other like me who are amateurs who have some experience but do not make a living from this but gain satisfaction from the whole process of producing something practical and from buying tools and learning skills while aspiring to the standards of the most experienced.

Restoring tools that I bought many years ago as a lad or more recently have bought on e-bay or car boot sales is part of the satisfaction. I have acquired a selection of planes which I have bought cheaply on e-bay plus one or two modern quality items. To me this is part of the enjoyment.

So many thanks to the help and support that is so generously given on this site. Long may it last.

Richard

I'm with Richard on this one. As a senior citizen, I'm supposedly time-rich and cash-poor, so refurbishing old tools makes sense. But if I were a Festool-buying professional, it obviously would not.

That said, I needed to plane up some "mahogany" today to make a microscope case, and the side pieces were too wide for my thicknesser, so I reached for an old Spiers coffin smoother that came covered in rust for a tenner from a local charity stall last year. Spent all of a couple of hours last year fettling it and sharpening the well-used Sorby blade. It cuts like a dream, and I'd got the boards thicknessed by coffee time :D .

I've also got a Stanley 41/2 with a very expensive modern steel blade, but it's such a pig to sharpen that I'm not convinced the end result is any better than the Spiers. And with practice, I reckon I can tap-adjust the blade on the Spiers at least as precisely as allowing for the backlash on the Stanley :(

Shhhh. :-$ If the nice man doesn't want the old tools, just nicely offer to take them off his hands and keep very quiet. If you're feeling really cheeky, maybe try charging a nominal fee for disposal... :wink:

fwiw, the only screwdriver I've ever had fail on me was a new one. More than one. If Marples et al had the crystal ball out and foresaw the cross-head screw, I'd be a happier woman.

Alf":2iypuwfw said:
the only screwdriver I've ever had fail on me was a new one.

I agree. All the new ones I've bought, some of them rather expensive, have all been pineapple!

Back