Recycling old timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shadowfax":riy8811w said:
I think before we start talking about banning iroko it might be wise to think about what other timbers have similar properties. Greenheart, I believe, has just the same features but no-one seems too worried about that.

Greenheart is actually one of the very worst! From what I've been told, it can cause cardiovascular problems and basically send you in to a cardiac arrest or heart attack! :shock: One of my previous tutors at college had a friend who was turning some on the lathe one day and suddenly he collapsed!!

I've also been led to believe that the cheap dust masks are simply no good for the kind of lethal dust we get from iroko and greenheart, etc. Might be better off with a respirator as well as efficient extraction.

Rich,

I'm severly asthmatic or used to be until I was 47 some 12 yrs ago so I worry occasionally that working with timber willc ause problems.

I have cleaned up 4 of the iroko tops from Corby so far. I used the following.

P2 mask...probably overkill
goggles...with a very tight fit...and pulled in tight. Mine have airholes which I blocked up with masking tape to prevent ingress of powder. Its just for a few minutes so it won't steam up.
Old clothes so that I can wrap-up well and then strip off outside the house before having a shower.

I also use a Jet 1000-B air filter placed close to the work to capture most of the dust.

I also worked out on the drive to prevent the dust accumulating in the workshop.

So being careful but having a go and very sensitive to how I feel.

regards

Alan

I've been lucky so far :? , and not had reaction to any woods. BUT when working in our highly insulated loft, I only have to go near the fibreglass insulation to end up with a cough for some hours afterwards. So when recently shifting the wiring about in the loft, I wore close fitting boiler suit and Racal powered respirator, but still started coughing as I removed the boiler suit in the garage.
So even if you are wearing full protective suit, you can still get caught out. Not sure whether I should have got SWMBO to hose/vacuum me down or what.

OPJ
Greenheart is actually one of the very worst! From what I've been told, it can cause cardiovascular problems and basically send you in to a cardiac arrest or heart attack! One of my previous tutors at college had a friend who was turning some on the lathe one day and suddenly he collapsed!!

Oh dear! I only have about another 2.5 tonnes of the stuff to get through!
I did not find any problems when milling the timber for my bench but I guess Iwas just lucky. I wll be a lot more careful with greenheart in future.
Regards,
Martin

...and having used some of Martin's greenheart that he very kindly let me have a while back, I can't say I've had any particular problems with this one - Rob

What is greenheart and what tree does it come from, I thought that woodworking would be a nice hobby for my retirement and Iv'e spent quite a bit on it so far, I'm not planning on making anything that could be exhibited, but could someone out there give a list of what NOT to work with?
Rich.

Sometimes Rich it depends on the state of the timber. For example, almost all timbers should be avoided as dust, some can cause reactions from simple contact, in addition, some timbers will carry fungus spores, so really you either go back to train spotting or take simple precautions I'm afraid.

Roy.

Thanks for the advice Roy, but if I went back to trainspotting nowadays I'd have to use a calender not a watch. :lol:
Rich.

Thanks for that SF, it's in my favourites now as a reference.
regards,
Rich.

Latest posts

Back