Recycling old timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just taken apart a couple of old iroko ( at least that's what I think they are) wooden benches and rather than throw them away I am considering making a bedside cabinet.

The Timber is piled in the garage at the moment, how long do you think I should leave it to condition before starting the project.

Harry

You'd be better off leaving it to settle in the final area if you can - or at east as close to as possible. I am fortunate that my wife is very understanding about wood movement and lets me 'dry off' my stock in the hall prior to construction. I usually allow at least 2 weeks for thick or large stock.

Yours may vary.....

Harry - not wishing to stray into the egg sucking area, there's been loads of stuff on the forums about just how really nasty iroko is, if indeed that is what you have. Unless you have very good extraction on all your machines and are prepared to wear a P2 mask when working with this stuff then my recommendation would be to leave well alone. If you haven't used it before the dust is 'hot' and 'peppery' and very unpleasant around and about you - Rob

I agree with what's already been said.

Roughly dimension the timber first (sawn, doesn't have to be planed) and stack it in an area which matches the conditions of where the finished piece is going to be used - the garage will be far too cold and damp for this time of year. You can never be too careful - especially with iroko, which can go all shapes!

A moisture meter would be handy but, not everyone has one.

That's what the space under the bed is for isn't it? :lol:

Roy.

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I might have to take Digit's advice!!

By the way I am not sure it's iroko just assumed as its def not teak and they are hardwood garden benches.

Regards

Harry

hi harryc

That's the last place i would want to place iroko under my bed i wouldn't have that in my house at all , I had to work with it, had no choice yrs ago in the dockyard here at Portland we had a 24 " wide domino planner under and over with a huge dust extraction going into the largest hopper you ever seen, we planed large bulk boards some maybe up to 18" wide and properly any where between 12 to 20 ft long whilst under the planner the dust use to come of that in clouds even with masks on many a time I'd have to run out the workshop and be physically sick with eye and nose running like a tap and now through choice you wont get me any where near the stuff let only under my bed or even consider having it made into something next to my bed. madness think twice

Martin, I respect your view but we are talking about timber and not nuclear waste.
As far as I understand lots of hardwoods can cause an allergic reaction, mahogany,teak,maple and beech to name a few.
I don't doubt iroko dust is an irritant and appreciate your warning.

I was only joking about storing it under the bed, bit difficult to store anything
under a futon

Harry

The 'hazards' of iroko dust have been well thrashed in the forum, but just to add my 2d I have no reaction to it at all. It's not necessarily deadly! I planed then sanded the tops I bought the other week, and the only results have been a pile of crud in the bin near the bench, and a dusting of pale brown outside the workshop where the dust was blown during sanding. The rain soon shifted it...

WHW, it doesn't work like that I'm afraid! You can work with an allergen for years before your body reacts, then that reaction can be fatal within minutes!
I developed a fatal allergy to chocolate at age 60 for crying out loud!
You could be gambling with your life, it can be that serious!

Roy.

Hi harryc

it is my view, well if you can compare timber dust with nuclear waste it don't say much about your knowledge of timber does it, I will add I gained my knowledge of iroko from years of experience every time i had to work with it it made me physically sick with eye and nose streaming, and that was using a mask as well .

I thought that's what this forum was all about passing on experiences and trying to help other AVOIDE pit falls along the way .

If i had my way i would have iroko totally banded ship it all back to where it comes from , its lethal, it far far worse than the dust from mdf where in parts of the world it is band I can only tell you what its like if you don't heed well at the end of the day its your life that your putting into a serious position, all i can say good luck . i hope for your sake it not iroko again good luck

I don't think it's quite like that Martin. If you were sufficiently allergic to MDF there wouldn't be a great deal of difference.
Allergies aren't like poisons, with cyanide, for example, a large enough dose would kill a horse, 100%. But if you are not allergic to Iroko, or any other allergen, then you simply aren't affected by it.
The danger with things like Iroko is that one exposure can sensitize you to it and the next exposure can kill you.
Take the case of my allergy to chocolate.
On the Saturday evening I ate half a bar of chocolate, no problems. Sunday evening I took a bite of the remainder and a few minutes later I can't swallow and I can't breathe.

Roy.

Hi Martin, I did not mean any offence, I admit I have limited experience of timber and woodworking. The point I was trying t make was that iroko is widely available and used in the timber industry and if it was that dangerous it would be a banned substance.

I take your point about being careful and I appreciate your advice and knowledge.

I apologise for any offence and look forward to your continued advice and knowledge to a woodworking novice.

Harry

Hi harryc

I'm not offended in any way , of all the guys that i worked with over the years i don't know of anyone that it didn't affect in one way or the other.

When i say effected even if you were working in the shop on your bench and not actually using it when someone else was the air born dust still effected your lungs with coughing severely , if you have a choice avoid it like the plague or as you said like nuclear waste.

digit says one dose effect you and it could be the very next dose that will kill you, and believe me enough doses and it will kill you weather its used nation wide or not do you think the system will worry about weather it effects one individually or not its not them that dead is it , is it worth that sort of risk? simply no it's not.

anyway it's not that nice a timber to work , there much better about and with time it go's very dark

I think before we start talking about banning iroko it might be wise to think about what other timbers have similar properties. Greenheart, I believe, has just the same features but no-one seems too worried about that. Some have even made workbenches out of it.
Many things are best avoided but we don't. If we worry too much we will not be leaving our beds in case something dodgy is there to be touched or inhaled.
I find I am agreeing with both sides of this debate, actually, but we must keep things in proportion.
If there is something out there that just might send you into respiratory failure are you going to cocoon yourself in a darkened room until you die anyway. Perhaps not.
Just my thoughts. No offence intended to any of you.

SF

I'm allergic to chocolate. I vote to ban it, my daughter would murder me! :lol:

Roy.

Well chaps, Beech1948 (Alan)n very kindly bought me back 5 bench tops from Corby, I understand that these are Iroko, now I don't know what to do as having been in a school lab they must be dressed and dimensioned before I can make anything with them, to be honest, I'm worried as my w/s is not that big and I was thinking of thicknessing them on the patio, oh dear, have I bought a white elephant?
Rich.

I use a mask Rich with any dodgy timber or fine dust, and if possible out doors, then I change my clothes or at least blow down with the compressor.
Seems to have worked so far, though I'm never sure whether the air blast is a good idea or not.

Roy.

Well as I said Roy, that was my plan, but having said that, when I think of all the boiler houses I have been in where the asbestos was crumbling,(back in the eighties) coupled with my fags, lifes one big chance really, so I'll be positive and go with my plan for the patio, though I'll make sure the boys and the dogs are well away until I v'e cleaned up and bagged it away.
Rich.

Interesting discussion here on iroko...seems to affect people in different ways. Personally I'm not too bad but I do find it very unpleasant to work with and take all sensible precautions. Out of choice, I wouldn't buy any but if I were given a whole load or found some cheap somewhere then I might be tempted to use it for outside projects (highly durable). One of the forum members CHJ (Chas) is particulary affected by this stuff and has had a considerable input on other posts regarding it. This is an extract from Chas's website and I'm sure he won't mind me inserting it here as it's in context - Rob

Back