Record V Axminster Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoman76

Established Member
Reaction score
I have searched the forum and web and still cant make up my mind.

So I am looking at either a Record Power BS300E (£535 delivered) or Axminster Hobby Series HBS310 (£554 collected) I have not seen the Record Power machine but read good things and am pleased with my other record power tools, seen the axminster as I have a store close to work and looks good. I am going to use Tuffsaw blades but still cant decide which machine to go for, any thoughts ?

Thanks

David

I think the only significant difference is that the Record has a 5 year warranty.
My BS300E is coming to the end of that and I've been very happy with it since I fitted a Tuffsaws blade and set it up following the Alex Snodgrass video, before that it was awful.

I have the BS300E. From just looking at the pictures, the bearing guides and the fence appear to look better on the HBS310.

The roller bearings on the Axminster would swing it for me, although I wold want a tension off lever to make it perfect, I have the Record BS350 fitted with roller bearings and am very happy with it, but then I bought it second hand at a lot less than either new.

Mike

I have a Record BS500 which is now about eight years old, it had a few problems during the five year guarantee period but the after sales service dealt with them in brilliant style. The blade supplied with the machine was rubbish but that seems to be par for the course. There are plenty of suppliers of blades out there.

MikeJhn":36sjlp8x said:
The roller bearings on the Axminster would swing it for me, although I wold want a tension off lever to make it perfect, I have the Record BS350 fitted with roller bearings and am very happy with it, but then I bought it second hand at a lot less than either new.

Mike

Which guide do you have? .. and where was the 'Hello' ????

Hi transatlantic sorry if I ignored you it was not intentional.

The bearing guides fitted to the BS350 when I bought it where these: http://www.yandles.co.uk/precision-roll ... 350/p14583 I was also given the old guides, but never felt the need to replace the bearing guides, personally I think Record have not addressed the supplied guides correctly it makes my engineering background cringe to see them.

Mike

MikeJhn":1kyvttu3 said:
Hi transatlantic sorry if I ignored you it was not intentional.

The bearing guides fitted to the BS350 when I bought it where these: http://www.yandles.co.uk/precision-roll ... 350/p14583 I was also given the old guides, but never felt the need to replace the bearing guides, personally I think Record have not addressed the supplied guides correctly it makes my engineering background cringe to see them.

Mike

Ah ok. I was hoping it would be something different as those have been on my radar for a while, just can't justify the cost. Seems rather pricey for what it is. I guess you haven't compared them?

Edit : Woops, I confused you with woodbrains (with the Hello thing)

As much as I like the Yandles guides, the rear support bearing is still around the wrong way, IMO it positioned that way as its easier to do and cheaper than to orientate the bearing in the way it should be, some of the American offerings are much better, I think I saw (pum) them on the Snodgrass site.

Mike

EDIT: it was here: http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw- ... rsion-kits

I wrestled with this not long ago. The blade guides on the record are rubbish in my opinion. They are too variable. You might get a good set or you might not. Mine are not parallel they are too loose if i try to set them up over a1/4" blade they can be touching at the back so they Jam shut but there is a 3-4mm gap at the front where the blade is supposed to be held in place. However everything else about the saw has been fine. There are loads of adjustments to get everything set up right. And you get the five year guarantee. The thing that put me off the Axminster was people were complaining about the drive belt slipping and them having to try and get an upgraded belt from the record machine.
-Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It seems if the discussion on UKW is anything to go by then Record need to get something sorted on their guides, they take a regular kicking for them. I seem to remember the MD saying to ROB and myself of that they did not really monitor UKW (or any woodwork forums) so may not be aware of this. Betting he will be at Yandles tomorrow and if I see him think I may bend his ear about it. I was already planning to have a look at the Startrite's guides as a potential retro fit to my BS400.

Terry.

Wizard9999":2mj695k9 said:
It seems if the discussion on UKW is anything to go by then Record need to get something sorted on their guides, they take a regular kicking for them. I seem to remember the MD saying to ROB and myself of that they did not really monitor UKW (or any woodwork forums) so may not be aware of this. Betting he will be at Yandles tomorrow and if I see him think I may bend his ear about it. I was already planning to have a look at the Startrite's guides as a potential retro fit to my BS400.

Terry.

Please do. A discounted upgrade which we can purchase would be a nice option! .. we should have gotten a signed petition! :D

Axminster deliver for free on any order over £50, no need to collect.

The belt on my axminster 350 broke far too quickly (a matter of weeks of light use) I got another belt from a car spares for a fiver, same day fix, no big deal.

From what I've seen (and I've researched a LOT) nothing bought today could be described as trouble free.
i havent dealt with record, but I have a few axminster machines and their customer commitment far outweighs the niggles with the machines.

sunnybob":37l5im3u said:
Axminster deliver for free on any order over £50, no need to collect.
That is a good point Bob. The delivery can add a reasonable amount to the Record Power prices. But, if you can get to one of the many shows they arrend you can usually get a decent discount off the normal price and free delivery. That is how I got my bandsaw and Startrite PT.

Terry.

I would point out that the Record is a 1hp saw, whilst the Axi is 0.7HP. Not a huge difference given it equates to about 200w but needs to be taken into account all the same.

Another difference is the base. I think the Axi comes with a cabinet base which is great for storing stuff in. But if you want the saw to be mobile you might have to spring for one of their mobile bases as well. The Axi mobile base costs £60 if I recall but only has two swivel castors. I built a mobile base including 4 swivel castors for about half that. But I am only able to fit a 90mm deep draw in my base as the castors mech lifts up into the rest of the base when not in use.
The Record mobile base also costs about £60 as well but it is a bit rubbish (so I've read, no experience myself).

-Neil

Brian, I have the axminster 350N and have solved the problem of poor dust extraction pretty well. I complained loudly to axminster about it and I got a video of their shop one working, but they had a gigantic dust extractor dedicated to that machine, with TWO 4" tubes connected to it. impossible in my small workshop. After my complaints they altered their web site showing higher specs for extraction.

My extraction runs through 62 mm pipe and I only have one of those attached to the upper angled port and its very succesful.

I blocked the bottom port off completely, and built a dust catcher around the lower bearing area. Took off that silly alloy tunnel and used 3 mm ply to make a surround, which then comes out and down to the angled dust port, in which I drilled a 50 mm hole. i capture a very large amount of dust through this. All I have to do is pull off the front of the dust catcher when I want to tilt the table. I will get around to making a flexible one sometime, but my original prototype works so well that I havent bothered to make the mark two version.

I dont understand why the magnifying glass gets in the way? theres a lot of clearance on mine. Are you sure you have the fence fitted down properly? That was another fault I fixed.

topic78828.html

Worth a canter through. My personal view is that there isn't a bandsaw for less than the BS400 that will give you niggle free sawing, even then you need to have the expectation of doing some fettling now and then. Unless you're in the hyper class ie Startrite/Felder etc and are paying industrial strength money, face it, they will have chocolate components!

The BS400 (3 years on) has been a stalwart I must say....no complaints....but it's a hefty chunk of change!

I've never heard a good report on the Axy machines, apart from their service which is legend of course. So my moneys still on the RP range but just accept there will be problems and lean on that 5 year warranty :)

Thanks guys your advice is much appreciated. Its a lot of money for me to spend on a hobby so want to make the right decision, which I think is the Record Power machine.

This is why I love this forum, such a wealth of information

David

Back