record T5 side handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi vann

thanks for the info you pointed out on the treads being different , soon as i get a moment I'll double check that out, before i do anything with making the handle, nice one . hc :wink:

I think bugbear has beat me to the dimensions/drawing. If you still need my help let me know

Mark

Hi HC
I asked this same question awhile ago and the consensus was to turn a handle that fits my hand rather than get pedantic about the measurements,

I turned a handle and used the bolt from a front knob I had spare,
now the weird bit is it is almost identical in size to Bugbears drawing and works a treat,

Cheers Nigel

hi nigel

Now thats interesting , you just said what i did earlier , I have an old wooden electric light pull handle which is too narrow for comfort and have been using that with the bolt from the rear handle of an old plane which fits perfectly , yet vann seems to think it may be the wrong thread, something I need to check out asap. hc

bugbear":1w72dy7y said:
I'll try to find a conversion table for you...
Aww, come on Bugbear - seeing as you're in the land of imperial measurements - if you're not going to use international standard millimetres, the least you could do is use good olde inches :D :D :D (hey, I'm old enough to still remember how to use them - they phased in metrics and phased out imperial in NZ around the time I started my apprenticeship in 1973).

Cheers, Vann

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm in a similar situation.
Does anyone know of a source of 20tpi 7/32" threaded rod so that I can turn a new side handle for my Record T5?
I'm struggling to find anything.
Many thanks,
St.Jonn

St.J":35n6ooaj said:
Does anyone know of a source of 20tpi 7/32" threaded rod so that I can turn a new side handle for my Record T5?
As it's a non-standard thread, I suggest you look out for a broken Stanley/Record plane that still has the handle bolts - and use one of them, or
Tap it out to 1/4" BSW - which is also 20tpi, and only slightly larger in diameter - so it should be an easy conversion. And of course the later T5s have 1/4" BSW threaded side handles already.

Cheers, Vann.

Great, thanks Vann. I'll pursue the broken "for parts" route first.
St.John

Hi St.J,

unless you are dead-set on creating your own, I have a spare reproduction side handle to which you are welcomeo (no charge if you can collect :)) - I'll send you a message.

----------------------------------

On a more general note, I personally find position and shape of the standard handle less than perfect for use with a shooting board. I used the tapped hole to attach a wooden plate to the side of the plane, then secured a standard front knob to attached plate. The plate is held to the side with one of those short, threaded bolts which secure the toe of the handles on the larger size (5+) planes - they use the same non-standard thread 7/32"-20 as the side handle. - see pic.
DSCF0357_under256.jpg
I find this more comfortable to use : I don't actually grab the knob, rather push it with the web of my hand, the thumb resting on the upper side of the plane and my finger curled round the edge & resting on the lever cap. If you try this with the standard side handle, it's almost impossible to keep your thumb off the sole.

The same bolt allows one to attach a variety of home-made fences too - here it is with a 45 degree fence.
DSCF0360_under256.jpg

Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0357_under256.jpg
    DSCF0357_under256.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 845
  • DSCF0360_under256.jpg
    DSCF0360_under256.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 844
I would look at trying to fit a hot dog style of handle, such as the one used on the LN #9

They are so comfortable in use. You can plane all day with it :D LN make them to fit their low angle bench planes as well so they might fit the Record T5. It fits with a grub screw so doesn't require a hole in the plane.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1f1ro1cz said:
I would look at trying to fit a hot dog style of handle, such as the one used on the LN #9

They are so comfortable in use. You can plane all day with it :D LN make them to fit their low angle bench planes as well so they might fit the Record T5. It fits with a grub screw so doesn't require a hole in the plane.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

You could follow these ideas:

http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... ciple.html

BugBear

baldpate":16n7o7os said:
Hi St.J,

unless you are dead-set on creating your own, I have a spare reproduction side handle to which you are welcomeo (no charge if you can collect :))
Chris

Chris,
Many thanks indeed!
St.John
9610954211_bd672774ef_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back