Record Power WG250 stone grader

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doingupthehouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently bough a RP WG250 whetstone grinder - well I bought it over a year ago, but have only just got round to using it!
I have a question about the stone grader. After only three or four uses, the fine side has a huge hollow worn into it, maybe 5mm deep. just wondering whether this is normal? Would I be better to replace it with a Tormek grader? I haven't used excessive pressure either.
The coarse side seems to be holding up ok.

Overall not particularly impressed with this machine, everything seems a little sloppy and it's difficult to keep things square. The support bar seems particularly slack in its mounting. Wish I'd paid the extra for a Tormek TBH.

Simon

Have you considered taking the machine back to the seller, explaining the problems and asking for your money back? Before I bought my T7 I had a Cheaper imitation feeling their could not be much difference. The unit although not the same brand had similar issues which made it IMO not fit for purpose. A little discourse with the retailer ended after highlighting the perils of trying to defend their position at the small claims court and we parted on good terms after agreeing to buy a T7 which I've been delighted with ever since.

nick winfield":29x8xkzg said:
have you tried a wheel dressing thingy

I don't have a problem with the wheel just the wheel grader. When using to take the wheel down to a finer grit, the stone grader seems to wear at an alarming rate.

Simon

deema":3umnlpox said:
Have you considered taking the machine back to the seller, explaining the problems and asking for your money back? Before I bought my T7 I had a Cheaper imitation feeling their could not be much difference. The unit although not the same brand had similar issues which made it IMO not fit for purpose. A little discourse with the retailer ended after highlighting the perils of trying to defend their position at the small claims court and we parted on good terms after agreeing to buy a T7 which I've been delighted with ever since.

I've had the unit over a year, so would feel a little awkward about that – not to mention the difficulty in proving it wasn't fit for purpose.

As a matter of interest, does your Tormek stone grader have a hollow in it? I'd happily pay the £22 for one if the quality was better.

Cheers
Simon

I've had my T7 for close to 7 years, had a lot of use. Used the grader infrequently as I tend to use a dry grinder if I need to resolve a chip in a tool. However, I have not really got any form of groove in the grader, I try to make sure that I don't use any specific area. Overall there is minimal wear of the grader.

You don't want to have a grader with a hollow, this will wear the stone unevenly and require it to be flattened far too frequently wearing away your stone too quickly. I have only twice had to re flatten the T7 stone in all the years I've had it. Modestly, I would say that's down to technique rather than any real benefit of the T7.

The one year rule is a problem for returning stuff. Under a year, it's down the manufacturer / retailer to prove that the goods are fit for purpose which makes it far too expensive / difficult for anyone with a genuine case like yourself. After a year it's down to the customer to prove that it's not fit for purpose which is a totally different ball game and for the cost of the unit not really financially worth the risk.

In your shoes I would probably pop it into an auction site, cut your losses and buy a Tomak if that's most suitable for your needs. If your using turning tools predominantly a wet stone is not the best option IMO

Thanks for the info guys.

Will probably get a new grader and see how I go. I tend to mainly use the scary sharpening system to hone secondary bevels. Just got myself a Graduate lathe, so may sell the WG250 and buy a Sorby Pro Edge.

Cheers again
Simon

Well done with getting a Graduate. That was my choice so I'm biased when I say they are brilliant.

When I looked at options for turning tool sharpening the choice came down to either a dry grinder or the Pro Edge. I chose the dry grinder root (Cruesen ought in an auction site for c£50) rather than the Pro Edge. The rationale was only swayed by my need to update my dry grinder and the versatility of a dry grinder over the Pro Edge for other things than sharpening tools.

You won't go wrong with a ProEdge, a high quality sharpening system IMO

deema":2tsfh6bh said:
Well done with getting a Graduate. That was my choice so I'm biased when I say they are brilliantIMO

I was lucky, neighbour giving up due to ill health. Have the lathe, in fantastic condition, loads of face plates, sanding table, chuck, standard and lever tailstocks, loads of tools etc, even the original manual'. Only wanted £450 for it, gave him £500. Can't wait to set it up and go on a training course...

I'm drifting off topic...

Simon

Latest posts

Back