Record Power thread protector

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workshop Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Apologies for what is probably a silly question but I am just learning to turn on a second hand record power lathe and Im a little confused by the thread protector that came with it. If I leave it in place and try to turn a piece its obvious that the taper of the drive centre is not engaging properly and it slips even though the thread protector is fully home. I have left it off for the time being and all is fine but should I able to turn with it in place?

Thanks Bob.

you should yes. It sounds like the thread protector is the wrong size for the lathe. What model is the lathe?

Incidentally it's not the end of the world if you leave it off but if the spur drive gets stuck in the morse taper the thread protector would be the guarantee you can get it off without causing too much bother to the spindle.

Its a DML 24. Ill get the vernier out tomorrow and have a measure then. I can always skim the thread protector down on my metal lathe if its just a case of too much material in the length.

Thanks.

(01246) 571020

Above is the Record Power phone number. You could give them a bell (on Monday) and they can confirm if its the right size or not. Take option 2 and speak to the technical dept. I just happened to speak to them today myself on a DX issue and they're always really helpful.

I have the same issue. RP thread protector, CL2 lathe but it only interferes with my pen mandrel (rutlands). its ok with my other (axminster) drives so I am assuming that its down to the length of the tapers (at the fat end, if that makes sense).

Ive got a CL4 and I never had any problems with the thread protector but to be honest I've all but stopped using any morse taper drive centres since I bought this
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/3 ... ccessories

Its the 5th product down, the CWA80. Now my chuck rarely leaves the lathe. Mount between centres and turn or cut spigot and remount in chuck to get at tailstock end. Really saves time.

I also had a problem with some morse taper drives not seating properly when I used a Record thread protector on a Draper WLT90 lathe.
My solution was to skim 1.5mm off the face of the closed end (half the end wall thickness ) which allowed the fittings to engage properly.
Anyone with a metal lathe would probably do the job for a token sum or even free.

Random Orbital Bob":12us3v7i said:
Ive got a CL4 and I never had any problems with the thread protector but to be honest I've all but stopped using any morse taper drive centres since I bought this
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/3 ... ccessories

Its the 5th product down, the CWA80. Now my chuck rarely leaves the lathe. Mount between centres and turn or cut spigot and remount in chuck to get at tailstock end. Really saves time.

Hi ROB

CWA80 is a morse taper drive centre - are you mounting the drive into the chuck?

Just Curious Mick

haha..I must have documented the wrong one :) Whoops. I'm talking about the chuck mountable spur drive. It's got a large square just behind the drive prongs to seat the chuck jaws. It's on the SN2 accessory page. I obviously linked the wrong page. Apologies for that :)

If I use a nor-RP drive spur with mine it has issues. I switched to a 4 prong drive centre ages ago and have an "old faithfull" I prefer to turn with. It slips in the lathe, but after forgetting to fit the threat protector one time and the shennanigans getting the drive centre out, I now use the one supplied with the lathe.

This was what I meant to link

Chuck mountable spur drive.png

Attachments

• Chuck mountable spur drive.png
    Chuck mountable spur drive.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,394
My 1st lathe was a DML24 and I had no problems with any of the centers I had. Axminster or Record.

I now have a CL1 and no problems there either. I have a load of different centers from various places and they all have a good clearence from the thread protector. That includes my Axy pen mandrel.

Hi

I've never had this problem using a host of morse taper drives in conjunction with the Record Power thread protector / centre ejector.

Are you sure that the thread protector you are using is the proprietary one and not an after market generic accessory supplied by another manufacturer?

This is the Record Power item:

Ejector.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Ejector.png
    Ejector.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,377
To be honest I'm not sure if its genuine (though it would appear to be) as it came with a second hand lathe. I'm pretty sure however that its not a record power drive centre (in fact I do need to order a new one to replace the decrepit one I have currently). I am however currently in the process of making myself a sharpening jig to go with my new grinder and new turning tools and I'm hoping that will help some toward improving my abilities :D but I might need to find a few more pennies for a new centre too.

Had this trouble with a cheap set of drives. The largest was too short to clear the thread protector on my RPML300. I just put it down to experience. It was a very cheap set.

Back