Record Power CL4 - problems fitting the VSLK motor assembly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpcpba

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - newbie here just setting out on woodturning. Just got a brand new CL4 and am trying to assemble it. Has anyone else fitted the motor into the headstock as I am having a problem?

The motor shaft is supposed (according to the instructions) to have a flat spot to allow 2 grubscrews to be inserted into the pulley to hold the pulley in place. However the motor shaft does not have a recessed flat spot - it instead has a keyway fitted into a slot in the end 25mm of the shaft instead. The pulley supplied though has a round centre shaft without a keyway recess so it will not slide onto the motor shaft . So either the pulley is the wrong one (maybe from an earlier CL4 model) or else the motor shaft will need the keyway drifting out.

I expect I will have to speak to Record after the long weekend but thought I'd just check... I've already had about multiple phone calls /emails about missing / wrong parts with the initial delivery a week ago so not too impressed so far...

Good morning

I had a look at the manual that came with my VSLK unit. It is version 3.0

On page 10 section 8 says

The stepped pulley should be positioned so the grub screw insert is aligned with the groove on the motor shaft.

I assume that motor shafts are machined with a groove for a location key as standard. The latest version of the VLSK may have a pulley with a keyway in it.

I've just looked at mine and there is no slot in the pulley for a woodruff key.

Don't forget to fit the second grub screw, to lock the first one.

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks for the reply.
My VSLK instructions v 3.2 Oct 2012 and my CL4 instructions v 31. Dec 15 both say roughly the same and neither mention a key in a slot. The CL4 instructions p19 actually show a picture of the shaft as having a flattened area on the shaft.
I am hoping to attach a picture of the shaft to this reply just so you can hopefully see I am not going potty! They must be in the process of changing the design.

Yet another call to Record Power on Tuesday methinks...

Many thanks for the reminder on the grub screws

Attachments

• VSLK shaft-1569.jpg
    VSLK shaft-1569.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1,649
Also attached is a picture from the CL4 instructions showing the expected shaft

Attachments

• CL4 instructions-1574-2.jpg
    CL4 instructions-1574-2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,648
I presume the hole in the pulley does not have a keyway slot so remove the square key. Treat the keyway slot as a flat in other words make sure the grub screw lines up with the slot and tighten it into the slot then lock this with the second one above that.

Thanks.
The key is well locked in to the shaft keyway though and would probably need a puller to remove it. A modest tap won't budge it for sure - I've tried. Also not too sure if by removing the key the then open ended slot could allow the pulley to drift along the shaft with time if the grubscrew slackened. It would not be located within a positive dwell as it should be.
I will check first with Record just in case there is now a new pulley available with a keyway slot to match the shaft and will post the results in due course.
Cheers

Hello again

It seems a bit odd for the key to be so tight in the groove on the shaft. I think you'd be wise to check that you have the right pulley.

Cheers

Dave

Had the same problems with mine and off centred casting. The key just has to be knocked out of the shaft and the pulley fitted but there's no flat spot for the grub screw to fit into. Brought these points up and got told that it shouldn't effect the running of the lathe but time will tell.

Record Power's tech guys acknowledge that the instructions are wrong/ out of date. The motor they use is predominantly used in other industry applications: it is not sepcific to Record. So it comes with the keyway and a key installed 'as standard' and the customer is expected to know that they need to drift the key out amd then go ahead eith the install as per instructions. The key was a tight fit and needed a lot of careful leverage to get it out- but once out the assembly and insertion of thr locking grubscrew went to plan ok.
Record do not have any plans to change the pulley to suit the key.
I have escalated this and a further error in their lathe stand instructions and Record have agreed to chnage the instructions as soon as they can. I'd like to believe that...
Hope this helps someone else who has the same question in the future.

It's not like it's difficult for them to print a half page note on it to be added in with the instructions, even if not reprint the instructions in full (which would be preferable of course).

Pretty poor of them I reckon. Look at how much of your time they have wasted and the amount of angst it has caused, as it would with most customers.

You get the impression that the marketing in a lot of companies are happy to send out product notes/instructions with errors rather than re-spend on reprint or add an addendum, almost as if they rely on the fact that few read them so the net negative vibe is worth the hit.

Afternoon all

+ 1 to the comments above. It's unrealistic to expect that mistakes are never made, but an attempt to rectify them would be nice.

While there are CL4 owners about, please take a look at ...

cl4-vslk-click-on-down-powering-t98160.html

about an annoying characteristic of my VSLK unit.

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back