Record Power BS400 Bandsaw Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the extra info on the wheels for the BS400 Rob. Think I will check them out again before the 18th June when R.S.Paskin of Kidderminster have their next woodworking exhibition on the 18th June. Good discounts to be had there.

Alex

No worries Alex. I bought mine from Paskins, also because of the exhibition deal. I'm sure if you wanted it sooner they would still give you the promotional price (£100 off by the way). After all, its in their best interest to shift stock as early as possible.

All sorted this morning at Paskins and will be buying at the sale price come 18 June for delivery on the 30th June.

I presume from the 'Tight' thread that the Record instructions do say to let off blade tension when not in use?

Have a nice day

Alex

Great news Alex. Yes the 400 manual mentions to slacken when not in use. I adopted the same approach with the 300 but to be fair, I frequently forgot and owned that saw for 5 years and it had no apparent effect. To strictly adhere to the guidelines then loosen would appear to be right but my gut feel, as with many others, is its probably not a biggy.

Thanks you have confirmed and surpassed my research. I will now put this as first choice when I have the cash to spare

Hi Bob, just an update following my last post on this.

My BS40 arrived at 8-15 today - the box looked just like yours! lol. I decided that it would be best to fit the wheel pack first of all, so that I could move it about, but wondered why the bandsaw was bolted to the pallet with long bolts that prevented it being 'turned' to allow access to fit the wheels and front lifter.

The only way was to remove the bolts, so I had to jack it up on a series of timbers to do this before the bolts could be removed and it took 2 hours just to do that. If the bolts were reversed, it would allow easier removal.

Anyway, after that it was fairly straight forward and you are quite right, the table is really awkward on your own, as well as heavy and unbalanced due to the trunion being off centre.

By 3-30pm I had finished, but a couple of problems to sort out, such as the lifting hook not fitting ( doubt I will even use it ) - and the lower blade thruster knob not turning. I will have another look at this tomorrow, just in case I missed something that allows the small, awkardly placed knob to turn easily.

Now to get started on those Yew and sweet Chestnut logs I need to plank up. Your review helped enormously, having read it a few times earlier, so thanks again.

Alex

P.S. ..... sorted the lifting hook now and the lower blade thruster (what an awkward position that's in). Just need to sort out the leveling of the machine, as it is out of balance at the moment, but expecting a call from Record soon.

On the problem with the fence being slightly too long to swing up unless the top door is opened, I took a file to mine and just rounded off the corner of the fence enough so it misses the door. It only needs a few mm taking off and took no more than a few seconds to do.

I also replaced the ruler scale with one that starts at 0 instead of 4mm!

Excellent review Bob and perfect timing, I ordered the BS350S this morning, delivery next Tuesday. Hopefully the two are not to dissimilar so I can ask you lots of questions :D

Paul Hannaby":km6n52vm said:
On the problem with the fence being slightly too long to swing up unless the top door is opened, I took a file to mine and just rounded off the corner of the fence enough so it misses the door. It only needs a few mm taking off and took no more than a few seconds to do.

I also replaced the ruler scale with one that starts at 0 instead of 4mm!

I was going to do the same Paul but got distracted and it ended up on that list of things to do that I just know wont actually ever get done :)

One final point which didn't get finished when I submitted the original review is that I fitted the jockey bar wheel kit finally after some help from a friend of mine. The method of fixing the base of the bandsaw to the pallet is a bit silly in my view as Alexam pointed out ie the bolts are inserted bottom up so to remove them requires you to lift the base quite high off the ground. I spose the converse is that, had they been heads up it would have made unscrewing them even more difficult. We used a see-saw type lever method with a bit of 4x2 while the other acted as steady for the leaning machine.

We then used the same approach to lift the base high enough to insert the axle rod and give the wheels clearance. They're secured with a simple split pin and to my surprise it works extremely well. The wheels are basically cheap and cheerful solid plastic and I didn't have high hopes when installing it. But the jockey bar gives you a lot of pull power and it's turning circle is pretty much on its own axis so I've been very impressed. It really is childs play to manoeuvre it any where I like in the workshop with minimal force.

My previous model was the BS300 which has a somewhat complicated pedal mechanism within a metallic frame which forms part of the bottom stand for the machine. It was substantially inferior to this jockey bar approach.

So again, I'm happy to report satisfaction with this final assembly and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Alexam said:
Hi Bob, just an update following my last post on this.

By 3-30pm I had finished, but a couple of problems to sort out, such as the lifting hook not fitting ( doubt I will even use it ) - and the lower blade thruster knob not turning. I will have another look at this tomorrow, just in case I missed something that allows the small, awkardly placed knob to turn easily.

quote]

There is a socket head screw that clamps the lower blade thruster shaft - it is smaller and above the screw that locks the lower blade side support bearings fore/aft movement.

Sorry pretty poor description but look in the trunion frame area and you should find it.

Just seen this .... thanks.
I did manage to fit the lifting ring, all be it that the thread was gummed up, but it's OK now, but something I doubt I'll use.
Also found the thruster screw, smaller than the others and awkwardy placed. I think the design of controling the lower thruster could possibly be improved.

In my case the wheel assembly was not level. The hole in one corner had been drilled a fraction too high and was therefore out of balance. However, Peter from Record came to the rescue and after being satisfied that it was icorrectly drilled, re-drilled another hole, which allows me to get the machine stable even though it's still a fraction out. IT is nice and easy to maouver, which is good for me as I need to move it out of the way of my son car at night.

Record did offer to swap the machine, but I felt it would be silly just for that. In general I am very pleased with the BS400 and it's getting plenty of use, but would love to be able to use a smaller blade, like a 1/8th for tighter turns. Must try some experiments on that, including Steve Maskerley's enclosing the blade with discs on the guides.

Dragging up an old thread here but can I ask Bob, are the blade guides the same as the BS300 or do they just look similar?

I believe that all three models have the 14mm rod and this new guide fits on that top one in place of the existing top guide unit. The guides at the bottom don't change, it's just a top guide unit.

Yandles are very helpful, but these new units are not made by Record, but another supplier. The guy I spoke with was not aware of the Carter Stabilizers in the USA or how they worked. He only knew that with these new guides the blade does not sit in the bearing groove, These new bearings are very similar, but made to be more efficient.

Alex

Those BS guides at Yandles look nice but I'm not sure about the orientation of the upper bearing. There have been negative comments about some similar guides. Bearings like that are not normally expected to take a load on one side like that and I believe some folks have complained about bearings wearing out quickly. Personally I think Carter have it right with their designs supporting both the side and the back of the blade on the circumference of the bearings.

I can see it's much quicker and cheaper to make them like the ones linked but I'm not sure it's the best design.
Only way to tell though really is to actually compare them over a period of actual use.

"The scope of my research focused on the mid-range trade/serious hobby machines and took in the Hammer N3800, Axy SBW4300B, Startrite 352E and the Jet JWBS 18Q amongst others but they were the shortlist. A combination of build quality, price, delivery timescale, lengthy warranty, capacities and personal positive experience with other RP kit led to the decision on the BS400. "

Hi Bob, I have been Gooogling the S#!T out of Band saws and came across your post, nice work, sweet.

1. Could you give us an update how the BS400 is running so far.
2. I'm looking at the N3800, due to size restriction, it was on your short list, what didn't you like about it?

Cheers

Stav,

Sharp knives don't hurt as much

Back