Record Power BS350S Trunnion Roller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Neil! The shaft on your saw is tapered. The washer in the second image is not touching the trunnion.

A better way to see the shaft is to tilt the table to 45 degrees, as this provides great access to the trunnion. It also allows better access to two of the bolts that secure the table to the trunnion, and allows you to remove the rip fence from the fence rail.

Just one observation the bolt for the trunnion on Neil S's post is on the thrust bearing side of the tilt mechanism as per your original post perhaps the trunnion needs pulling into place with the nut on the other end?

Mike

I tried that and as soon as the flared end of the shaft makes contact with the trunnion, it stops moving towards the nut. As I continued to tighten the nut, the washer on the nut side starts deforming as it is pulled into the slot. This effectively locks the trunnion in place and prevents it from moving at all. I removed the nut, replaced the washer, and snugged up the nut to find the balance between being able to adjust the table and minimize wobble.

I did hear back from Record Power, and the answer was a little wobble is normal and is not a design fault. I am happy with my modification that removes all wobble.

If I can fix the table tilt along the axis of the cutting direction, I will be totally pleased with this saw. Record Power hasn't answered my question about this yet. I think the only solution is to put shims on two bolts between the table and the trunnion to make the table perpendicular to the blade. The table alignment on one axis is good using the adjustment bolt (Figure 5.2 in the manual), but there are no adjustments for the other axis.

I ordered the Axminster Rip Fence upgrade and it scheduled to arrive today. I'll install it this weekend and report back. Changing the blade will require removing the fence, but according to the instructions, this appears easy to do without affecting the alignment. The main advantage is the ability to use the fence on both sides of the blade, which is not possible with the standard rip fence without relocating the fence rail.

I thought there were grub screws under the table that allow you to adjust it's level when the bolts are tightened down.
Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Neil S":19alma2b said:
I thought there were grub screws under the table that allow you to adjust it's level when the bolts are tightened down.
Neil

That would be ideal, but on my saw, there is only one leveling adjusting point. It is the large bolt and locking nut that sets the zero degree adjustment on the tilt axis. The manual doesn't address the other adjustment axis and I can't find any adjusting grub screws in the exploded parts diagram.

MikeK":1f48r9ll said:
I ordered the Axminster Rip Fence upgrade and it scheduled to arrive today. I'll install it this weekend and report back. Changing the blade will require removing the fence, but according to the instructions, this appears easy to do without affecting the alignment. The main advantage is the ability to use the fence on both sides of the blade, which is not possible with the standard rip fence without relocating the fence rail.

You will have to remove the fence rail as well, the Axminster fence is attached on both sides of the blade slot, if I remember correctly.

I can use the standard fence on both sides of the blade, but you have to open to top door to allow the fence to lift high enough to pass the wheel housing and blade when re-locating it.

Mike

Neil S":5fdtrspn said:

I received a reply from Record Power, and you were correct! There are two grub screws cleverly hidden in the base of the trunnion behind the tilt adjust shaft. Richard, from Record Power, sent me an image from a different user manual that has the same trunnion. In that manual, Record Power describes how to adjust the table alignment with reference to the back of the blade.

BS350S-Table-Adjust.jpg

This description is definitely not in my manual and Section 13 is the Parts Diagram.

It took me about 15 minutes to align the table because I made a slight adjustment, tightened everything down, checked the adjustment, lather, rinse, repeat. I also had to align the table to make it parallel to the side of the blade because I changed that orientation with the other adjustment. Now the table is perpendicular to the blade side to side and front to back.

The Axminster rip fence upgrade arrived this afternoon and it is nice. I'll install it this weekend.

Attachments

• BS350S-Table-Adjust.jpg
    BS350S-Table-Adjust.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 680
Ha Ha, you're right mine is tapered!

20170413_212303.jpg

I could be right about the levelling screws though. They might be located where the whole table assembly meets the saw base two sets on the left and the right fixing bolts.

Right hand side:
20170413_211939.jpg

Left hand side:
20170413_212249.jpg

As usual with these things you need to slacken of the bolts then adjust the grub screws then re-tighten the bolts.

Mine seems Ok so I don't want to mess with them, but I'd be interested to know if they do adjust what you want.

Cheers

Neil S

Attachments

• 20170413_212303.jpg
    20170413_212303.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 679
  • 20170413_211939.jpg
    20170413_211939.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 679
  • 20170413_212249.jpg
    20170413_212249.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 679
Neil S":2edolbaw said:
Mine seems Ok so I don't want to mess with them, but I'd be interested to know if they do adjust what you want.

You were correct (see my post above yours), and adjusting the grub screws did exactly what I wanted.

Ha Ha,
You were probably adjusting your saw while I was taking photos of mine to tell you about it!

Glad it all worked out for you.

Cheers

-Neil

If you read the previous post it was resolved 7 years ago, if you do some searching you will find a very interesting article by @MikeK on some very serious modifications he made to the bandsaw which involved cutting away sections to fit better guides.

Latest posts

Back