Record Power BS250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul24dual

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Record Power BS250.

Does anyone own one and what are my limitations with this machine, what can or can't do with it?

I have had one for about 3 years now and it has proved utterly reliable so far. I replaced the blade guide bearings once as they were getting gummed up, could probably have cleaned and lubed them if I had the patience but new ones were about £1 each so didn't think it was worth the effort. Decent blades from Tuffsaws and about an hour setting up and checking squareness etc and it has been a winner for me.
The max depth of cut is about 120mm (4 3/4"ish) which is the only limiting factor I have found so far, ideally a 6" cut would have been nice, but at the end of the day it is a budget bandsaw so I can't expect too much. The throat is 300mm which I have found fine.
Accuracy seems OK for my standards, I can happily resaw down to less than 2mm which is all that I require and I have found no noticeable blade drift.
Only thing I will say is they are not terribly well packaged from the factory and the motor can easily get damaged in transit, so check this thoroughly when it arrives (if you decide to buy). Mine was fine but there were several reviews online that complained of transit damage.

I had a BS300 for a few years and it was a smashing machine, I doubt the 250 is any less of a machine Obviously you have to change the blade as the ones that come with it are made from cheese strings, but apart from that it was great.

Most low/medium woodwork equipment is severely compromised in my experience, but bandsaws tend to be the exception. A few years ago I upgraded my Record bandsaw to a Hammer N4400, the bigger table is nice, but it's hardly transformed my life. I mean you can't compare the furniture I was making with the Record, with the furniture I'm making now, and say, "Wow! That bigger bandsaw has really made a difference"!

I also have the BS300 and find it a great machine for what I need it to do. Also agree the tuff saws blade is a winner. I was considering the BS250 when I bought mine second hand and I am very pleased with it.

I would think the only limitations with the BS250 is the depth of cut if you wanted to re-saw any timber, mine has a 6 inch depth which does me fine.

paul24dual":302fvvcz said:
I'm thinking of buying a Record Power BS250.

Does anyone own one and what are my limitations with this machine, what can or can't do with it?

Hi Paul
I also only recently (March) sold my BS300 and bought a BS400. It was entirely a capacity issue and I seem to recall you're a turner aren't you? My reason for upgrading was to enable the passage of larger green wood in log form under the guides for turning blank production.

If you have any plans to use your bandsaw for your turning and want to harvest your own blanks I would very seriously consider going larger, the 250 won't be big enough.

Latest posts

Back