Record Power air filters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I guess you all know the one I'm referring to (AC400)

I'm thinking of getting one, which will be ideally sized for my small 120 square foot home workshop, but has anyone got one and what's your thoughts on it, now you've been using it for a bit.
Seems to be an excellent price to at only £170, especially compared to others like the Jet, which is twice the price, and it doesnt look like it offers anything different. And I see Rutlands do one similar to the RP model, and seems to be pretty much identical.

Or generalized thoughts on such ambient filters. I mean any extraction has to be good extraction.
And for me being a spare room workplace it's probably long overdue.

I've got one, bought about 3 or 4 years ago. Very pleased with it and so far no problems at all.

BTW, my workshop is in my cellar with quite low head room. So before buying I checked with Record (a REAL pallaver to contact them that was, starting an account, selecting a password, etc, etc - just to ask a Q)!! Anyway when I did get in contact they told me that doing away with the chains and mounting hooks (included with the machine) there would be no problem, performance wise, mounting the unit almost flush to the ceiling. So it has proved - no problem at all and the top of the unit is a couple of inches, max, off the ceiling.

HTH

I've also got one.....Fitted up close to the workshop ceiling joists with the hooks provided.....No chains!
Seems to work pretty well, albeit, a bit noisy! Not sure what the DB rating on it is but worth considering when you are looking at similar options.

Re the above, I'm surprised. Mine is pretty quiet - not silent, but by no means loud, especially when on speeds 1 or 2, which it is most of the time.

For the info of the OP, mine has 3 speeds, plus a timer. When packing up for the day, I do sometimes leave it on at the highest speed for either 1 or 2 hours. It then shuts off automatically.

I spent ages contemplating if I should get one. Initially I bought and tried a 5 stage HEPA air purifier [not sure how well it worked]. Then finally decided to just pull the plug as it should help with your health and wasn't too expensive. I wasn't sure if it was working but I looked at the air filter and it had turned yellow [covered in sawdust] so it is actually pulling sawdust from the air.

I find mine quiet too and I have it mounted on a shelf near the ceiling as the ceilings too low for the chains and I am too tall. The timer is handy.

If you find you have a lot of surface dust and find it a pain to clean then just get it. That's why I bought mine.

Just keep the box and if you don't like it you could always put it on ebay and you wouldn't lose much money.

@robgul has as one I think?
Indeed I have - had it a couple of years and no problems (other than the remote's beam isn't very wide so you have to point it carefully) - mine's in cradle attached to the ceiling

IMG_20200522_153000728.jpg

Pic was taken a while ago (it's been on here before) - ceiling has now been insulated and plaster-boarded and the cradle modified with the base as a piece of OSB forming a platform. The machine's box sits right up against the ceiling. [The grey shrouds are my push bikes haging up]

Got mine in the garage in between the roof joists , used the hooks that came with the machine and then used two copper pipes through the hooks and suspended from the top of the joist
With the exhaust going out through the soffits , I do have to pull the garage door down a bit to point the remote to the front to make it work , deffo can feel the difference when it’s used I normally put it on timer for an hour after I’ve finished

I have one mounted on a dust “capture” box I made for my mitre saw which brings it to head height for me but also means it’s in the centre run of the workshop and not in the way.

It collects air borne dust well evidenced just yesterday when after cleaning the fine filter out in the morning, it was covered in a fine brown layer after running for a couple of hours of sanding oak.

Location is obviously important for maximum benefit but at that sort of price, it will prove a no-brainier.

I've had one for a while. Originally it was mounted on the chains and suspended from the garage ceiling. It now sits vertically on a high level shelf. Works great.

I've recently purchased one of these and I have to say its very good at removing the fine dust that settles everywhere (despite DX) like many of the above I turn it on for a couple of hours when I finish. Unfortunately I have a very low ceiling and cannot fit it to the ceiling so I have ended up putting it on the workbench which I know isn't ideal but it still seems to make a substantial improvement. I guess I will get round to mounting it on a shelf higher up eventually.

I have one too - it’s mounted in a cradle like @robgul but with one side connected to wall. Reasonably quiet on lowest setting. Seems to reduce the amount of fine dust in the air.
I used some self adhesive heavy duty Velcro to attach the remote to the side of it to stop it hiding in the sawdust and shavings 😊

I got the axminster AC15 one, it's very good so far no problems after about 2 years, a good alternative to the record version

My AC400 is attached to the ceiling of my shop off to one side. I think I need to change the filters.

AC400-1.jpg

AC400-2.jpg

My AC400 is attached to the ceiling of my shop off to one side. I think I need to change the filters.

View attachment 136116

View attachment 136117
Given the price of the filters - and finding them in stock - I give mine a periodic suck with the Henry using the narrow upholstery tool . . . gets ride of a lot of the dust and adds a bit more life to the filter.

Given the price of the filters - and finding them in stock - I give mine a periodic suck with the Henry using the narrow upholstery tool . . . gets ride of a lot of the dust and adds a bit more life to the filter.
When I bought the AC400, I also bought six of the outer pleated filters and two of the inner bag filters. I just changed the outer filter and the inner filter still looks new.

I’ve had mine just over a year, no regrets with it at all. Has reduced the dust that used to settle on surfaces significantly. I don’t find it too noisy, especially on settings 1/2. Mounting options are good, mine is on its side, on a robust shelf, which Record Power confirmed would be fine. Seen some discussion on optimal location, however the reality for me was to be able to locate it so I can access the filters and point the remote at the sensor easily, so middle of shop but off to the side, filter side facing towards lathe. A friend has the jet version, the AC400 is equally as good in my view.

When I bought the AC400, I also bought six of the outer pleated filters and two of the inner bag filters. I just changed the outer filter and the inner filter still looks new.
Mike it might be because you have a better than most dust collection installation that is getting most of the dust before it gets loose in the shop...............or you never turn it on. 😉

Pete

Got one in January, surprised by how effective it is in reducing general dust in a double garage/ workshop. When we have visitors a car goes in one half of the space and still gets a bit dusty but much better than before.

A summer project is to open all the doors and windows, don some PE and de dust as much as I can, it will be worth it and I am confident the filter will keep things much cleaner than it has been for the 2 years of turning before I got it.

Back