Record no.071 replacement blades - Additional info please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyW

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for replacement blades for a Record no.071 - just picked one up on fleabay minus this item - well at least I wont cut myself :lol:

Cheers :D
Tony

Thanks Derek - I was just about to post and ask if anyone knew if These will fit and you are here with a confirmation before I finished typing. :D

Tony

Are the Veritas bits (which really are very good) the same height as Record bits?
I had a St James Bay 71, and the Veritas bits were taller, which prevented use in very shallow rebates/grooves.

Excerpt from my review of the Veritas Large Router Plane ...

Do the LV blades fit the Stanley router planes?

This is the question that all owners of vintage Stanley and Record router planes are asking! The answer is yes - they do fit. There is a qualification, however. The LV blades are ¾” longer than the Stanley blades I have (Note: mine were made by St James Bay, although I expect them to be faithful reproductions).

The%20Veritas%20Router%20Plane_html_5c1b008b.jpg

LV at top and Stanley below

The%20Veritas%20Router%20Plane_html_m302f2d9.jpg

To fit the LV blades, make sure that the adjustment wheel is turned around as in the picture. This provides the extra clearance needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Plane arrived today - looks in good condition but minus a couple of bits

Does anyone know of a source for the thumb screw for the cutter clamping collar?
stanley71collar3226.jpg

Also the fence is missing - although will probably manage without would be nice to complete

Tony

Thanks for the link Pete. Any idea if the Stanley thread is the same as the Record?

At the risk of sounding thick I admit that I am not too sure that I fully understand thread sizes but checking the thumbscrew it is about 1/4" diameter, 1/2" long and has 13 threads = 26tpi. Therefore I concluded that it is probably BSF 1/4". So just hoping that my local hardware or even B&Q may have this in (as a temp measure) as well as metric sizes

Tony

Hi, Tony

Sorry I thought you had a Stanley, those Stanley pics confused me.
I have just checked my Record and Stanley router planes and they are different, but you could get the Stanley clamp and thumscrew, they fit if you can't get a bolt, they do use non standard sized threads.

Pete

Hi Pete

No problem - sorry if my pic confused (just posted a web pic that looked similar).

The picture was the closest I found to the clamp fitted to my plane. I am now even more confused as looking at Record Pics some show a plain (smooth sided) clamp others show similar to pic, maybe relates to year of mnfctr? - so could be either original Record or possibly even Stanley clamp.

Very good idea about getting Stanley clamp and thumbscrew if I can't find a bolt.

Thank you for your time on this, very much appreciated.

Tony

Hi, Tony

Just had a thought, its going to be difficult to adjust with a bolt, you need to adjust the depth often as you are working your way down so using a spanner will be not easy, I would go for the clamp.

Pete

Latest posts

Back