Record DX5000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotswood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Ok, after much thought and deliberation i have elected to go for the Dx5000. It solves the dust issue with an "out of the box" solution. Many thanks to the guys who helped in my previous thread, after some dicussions domestically i upped the budget slightly and hope this meets my needs.
Best deal i can find seems to be diytools.com at £320ish. Anyone aware of a better deal anywhere?
Thanks again for all the help guys,
Regards,
Graham

Hi scotswood

have you checked out a twin motor wall mounted camvac may be just slightly more expensive but IMHO a better machine

model no. GV286W twin motor

contact camvac direct if i was you

pm you some details

Andy

Graham

I had a record extractor, not the same model, but was not very impressed with noise or efficiency. I now have a cheaper Fox machine which performs a lot better, and is less noisy.

IMHO the Camvac is very noisy and the wall mounted version tries to suck a polythene bag back up it's own bum :) & it didn't fill the bag completely when using it for planing because of the metal bar that prevented the polythene bag from sucking up.................. and that prevented the chippings from going to the bottom of the bag :?. I could go on but...............................

Graham - I can't remember the model number, but it was the single motor version of the DX5000. Sucking up the bag was also a problem as outlined by gardenshed. This is the model I have at the moment, and this or this is what I am going to have next time. I saw the AF22 in action a couple of weeks ago, I am 99% sure that this will be my choice.

andys wood shed":39fd0war said:
Hi scotswood

have you checked out a twin motor wall mounted camvac may be just slightly more expensive but IMHO a better machine

pm you some details

Andy

Isn't that Camvac model a single motor unit?
I've had the DX 5000 for a few years now. 2 brush motors, loudish but not too bad, superb suction, 3 filters down to maybe 0.5, wall mounted, fills the 180 ltr bag no problem, services about 40' of 4" ducting. I'm happy with it.
Think Andy King road tested a herd of them last month.

Noel":1isuvyjy said:
andys wood shed":1isuvyjy said:
Hi scotswood

pm you some details

Andy

Isn't that Camvac model a single motor unit?
I've had the DX 5000 for a few years now. 2 brush motors, loudish but not too bad, superb suction, 3 filters down to maybe 0.5, wall mounted, fills the 180 ltr bag no problem, services about 40' of 4" ducting. I'm happy with it.
Think Andy King road tested a herd of them last month.

Hi Noel

most suppliers only advertise the single motor wall mounted Camvac.
they do supply the GV286W in both single and twin motor options
thats why i suggested dealing direct

Andy

Hi Guys

I am pretty sure the Camvac 286 only comes with 1 motor (the top diam. is probably too small to fit 2?).
I have just sold mine to a friend - excellent machine - OK for sweeping up etc. but not so good when attached to my Router table with 2 areas/pipes to suck and could not cope with my Planer/Thicknesser (blocking up continuously). It was a 2.5" model so that could have been partly the problem but IMHO it did not have enougth suck!
I thought about a twin motor 386 but that is £100 more than the Record (you have to buy all the pipes, fittings etc as extras with the Camvac!) So in the end I went for the DX 5000 @ £320 (incl some free extras!).
It is very powerful but you can control it - you should only run 1 motor when sucking through smaller pipes than 100mm - as I found out when it sucked in the plastic bag!! It is no more noisier than the Camvac.
Here's some of my gripes about dust extraction:
Lack of consistency in pipe diams., pipe fitting/connection sizes by manufacturers - especially the smaller sizes.
Air Flow claims are misleading - there should be 2 Types listed - Dust Extractors and Chip Collectors!

Harbo,
Do you mind if i ask where you got the DX5000 form at £320 inc freebies?
Seems like there are more "fors" in favour of the record as opposed to the camvac?
Cheers,

Graham

Harbo":27nffsor said:
It was a 2.5" model so that could have been partly the problem but IMHO it did not have enougth suck!

I would strongly recommend anyone buying the Camvac to get the 4" fittings.

Cheers
Neil

Graham

I bought it at the end of September from Powertools Direct.
I was wrong about the price - I paid £302 which included a £36 accessory kit (32mm fitting kit) and free delivery.

I would certainly not buy a 2.5" system again except if you are only going to suck smaller tools using small diameter piping. I've spent a small fortune trying out various pipe taper adaptors because of all the variations in tool extractor outlets. One other problem with my Camvac was that it also blocked where it connected into the drum, but I see that Camvac have now modified the fitting by angling the connection. The Camvacs are good machines and really well made but the big price difference with the Record sold that for me.
Because of its power the Record is quite a beast and will easily concertina its flexible hose if enough air is not getting through and I do not really like the plastic bag system (apart from its large capacity) - I might experiment sometime in the future and see if the Record will sit in a drum ( a plastic dustbin - as long as that does not implode!!?) I also find when, generating a large amount of waste, that the introduction of an intermediate dustbin with the lid from Axminster works very well.

Latest posts

Back