Record 52 vise problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nclarey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a fairly recent starter to woodworking and I decided that my first project should be a woodworking bench. Completed the bench and top fine. Having ordered an old Record 52 quick release vise off "the bay" the final touch was fitting it to the bench.

This all went fairly smoothly until I tried to tighten the vise. The vise screws in and out fine but when I put tension on the vise in the closed position it "pops" the quick release open, which means my vise doesn't...vise very well.

Having read one or two threads about sometimes needing to give the inside a good clean I dutifully did so, beat my head against the wall for a half hour or so when I had to get the bleeding spring back into place, but in the end reassembled the blighter. However, no dice - same behaviour - under any pressure beyond a little tight the quick release pops and releases the vise.

This led me to the conclusion that the half-nut is probably shagged. Are there any other possibilities? Is it possible to get a replacement half-nut at a reasonable price?

(Edit: It's a Record 52 not a 50 - apologies)

Best regards,

Nick

Nick, there is a very good internet article about refurbishing a 52 that goes into quite a bit of detail about removing and replacing the half nut, unfortunately I can't give you a link but if you keep searching you'll find it.

There's a common view that old Record vices go on forever, so just get the cheapest, ugliest one available and all will be well. I've never found that to be the case. All it takes is one person to slip a four foot steel pipe over the vice handle and use it to press a bearing home, and that vice might never perform properly again.

Without pictures to look at (a few more posts and you will be able to put in pics) or that type of vice of my own to check, I'll take a stab in the dark. The other weak point on quick release vices would be the spring tension. If your threads are clean and fairly crisp (on both male and female) try applying a bit of manual tension to the half-nut. On my Wilton you can just tug a little on the release lever in the opposite direction, or barring that reach under and put the appropriate pressure on the long flat bar. If that remedies the problem then you may need to tighten up the spring in some way.I imagine that may be fun if getting it back in was so tough. Might be best to send loved ones out of town while you try it :lol: . carefully winding and then binding the spring might save on some cursing though.

Hi Mike,

I have tried various different spring tensions. I tried it at reasonably tight and wound tight-as-you-can (the wife said the language was very colourful during the 10+ times as the spring unwound while I was putting the clutch bar in - I have no memory of this but do vaguely remember a red mist over my vision) but still no dice. I'll try adding some manual tension to see what effect that has.

Best regards,

Nick

Custard thanks very much for that link, very useful for future refurbishment efforts. The individual who sold me the vise had sprayed it a very fetching shade of silver. When I say "it" I mean everything, including the main screw and slider bars, though thankfully they hadn't taken off the half-nut cover and sprayed that as well.

As soon as I get permission on here I'll try to get some pictures up of the half-nut so people can give their opinion on the status of it. I frankly quite enjoyed learning about how these things work - ingenious little de-vices :wink:

Best regards,

Nick

Sorry to say this is a sad case of extreme wear on the thread and the half nut and unless you replace them both it is unlikely it will ever function properly again :cry:
I would also guess that the holes in the main casting for the guide bars are worn making the jaws not meet at the very top when pulled together. Thus making any further work on the thread/half nut pointless.

Andy

Thanks very much Andy - sounds like it's as I suspected. There are some clear divots on the thread of the screw which I think means it's curtains for this old vise. I'll check the next vise more carefully first!

If it is down to wear can you clamp the half nut on to the screw with maybe a couple of jubilee clips? I know it's not ideal but may make it usable for something.
I guess this is why some people refer to a QR as Half Fat.

Latest posts

Back