Record Half-nut odd problem and solution.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumster

Reaction score
I have inherited my late father's Record 53E vise.
He bought it new in the '70s , fitted it to a small bench and used it perhaps 2 dozen times then gave up woodworking (never really started) and mothballed it.
I fitted it to my workbench and discovered an oddity...when the quick release is used the Half-nut refuses to re-engage. Not expected from an 'as new Mint' Record.

Having had a similar experience with an ancient Parkinsons Perfect (that had lain unused for 60+ years prior to my acquiring it) I suspected the grease had hardened and was impeding normal operation.
However, after disassembling the Record and cleaning out old grease and re-greasing with new the action was unchanged.

Long story short...the Half-nut had not been fettled at all by the factory and the 'ears' at the top of it were so sharp and square they caught the underside of the thread sawdust cover and the QR bar tension locked the Half-nut solidly preventing it from fully returning to engage. Wiggling both the QR lever and the lower projection of the half-nut was the only way to get it to return and I didn't fancy having to reach under the bench every time the vise was slid in or out !!

I removed the half-nut and filed the inside top of the 'ears' on the offending side so as to allow them to slide past the edge of the dust cover and on re-assembly the problem was solved.
Just leaving this here as when I tried Googling half-nut engagement problems there were plenty of hits for older vise and wear but nothing dealing with problem on a factory new item.

I have inherited my late father's Record 53E vise.
He bought it new in the '70s , fitted it to a small bench and used it perhaps 2 dozen times then gave up woodworking (never really started) and mothballed it.
I fitted it to my workbench and discovered an oddity...when the quick release is used the Half-nut refuses to re-engage. Not expected from an 'as new Mint' Record.

Having had a similar experience with an ancient Parkinsons Perfect (that had lain unused for 60+ years prior to my acquiring it) I suspected the grease had hardened and was impeding normal operation.
However, after disassembling the Record and cleaning out old grease and re-greasing with new the action was unchanged.

Long story short...the Half-nut had not been fettled at all by the factory and the 'ears' at the top of it were so sharp and square they caught the underside of the thread sawdust cover and the QR bar tension locked the Half-nut solidly preventing it from fully returning to engage. Wiggling both the QR lever and the lower projection of the half-nut was the only way to get it to return and I didn't fancy having to reach under the bench every time the vise was slid in or out !!

I removed the half-nut and filed the inside top of the 'ears' on the offending side so as to allow them to slide past the edge of the dust cover and on re-assembly the problem was solved.
Just leaving this here as when I tried Googling half-nut engagement problems there were plenty of hits for older vise and wear but nothing dealing with problem on a factory new item.
Well done --- good advice.

Another old vice ready for a long life - shame they didn't do that ex-works.

Thanks for the comments :) Yes it should have been tested and fettled before sending half the world away.
Can't help thinking that this was part of the reason and disappointment that sent my father away from his woodworking quest.

Though he was a mechanic working on all from small Briggs and Stratton to huge Cat D8s, sometimes even being flown in to the hinterlands by ancient Cessna to repair the Cats.
He dreamt of retirement and making toys for the grandchildren but sadly had no aptitude for wood and moved on to Ham Radio and Hammond Organs. ( and perhaps after a working life in draughty cold workshops he really did deserve some indoor pursuits. :)

It's always good when people post this sort of thing, Thank you.

The '60sand 70's were the nadir for quality control at Record and Stanley as the diy era took off and they chased volume and cheapened products. I was given a Stanley No4 plane for my 21st by my sister and could never get it to work. Naively, I thought a tool should work out of the box with a quick sharpen. I bought a Surform! At least it could be relied upon to remove some wood!

Jim

Back