Workbench with Record & Fortis woodwork and engineers vice £50

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonm

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a woodworking bench and have just seen this advert. No dimensions as yet. There is a Fortis engineers quick release vice which I would sell on as I already have an engineers vice on a steel framed bench. Woodworking vice is record quick release, I think 52 1/2.

My main question relates to the bench. Any thoughts on effort required to get it in to a reasonable state. It looks good quality but is now outside. Vices look ok.
92F8DA76-5465-4D7E-932B-DF028EF8FE9D.jpeg
083A0387-E60C-48B7-8BB9-7D042CDCA730.jpeg
519EF02A-219A-4284-A0EB-624A4E17D6AE.jpeg
77BCB1F9-EAD8-4F9E-B443-EB8D190259E8.jpeg
59511F3C-C6AF-4256-8BBF-E49BBE7EBB8D.jpeg

Looks to be pretty robust joiners bench. The vices alone are worth more that that, The clamp on the left might need some attention ,though the whole thing should clean up nicely. Might be worth sorting out an apron piece for the whole front of the bench ( not have it just behind the vice, as at present ) This will brace the bench and give a continuous length for the vice to clamp against. Though I have to admit that there differing opinions about how vices should be fitted.

Thank you for the advice, it looked ok to me. I am not looking for another project, I have plenty of those already and several of them are being pushed by SWMBO. A bench which is usable now and improve later would be fine.

I will post how this progresses.

Only thing I would do is if hand planning remove the rear pad behind the woodworking vice and put a full length apron approx 10 or 12" deep.

The vice are probably worth double the price of the bench tbh. What's the worst you've got a load of decent fire wood!

Last edited:
clean it up and oil it and it'll be like new again, it's well worth the asking price.

Only thing I would do is if hand planning remove the rear pad behind the woodworking vice and put a full length apron approx 10 or 12" deep.

The vice are probably worth double the price of the bench tbh. What's the worst you've got a load of decent fire wood!
Apron obviously!🤣

I bought the bench. The vices apear to be in good condition, need some oil to get them working smoothly. I am clearing/sorting/rearranging the workshop/garage to get it in. Will then have to decide which wood vice to use, I have a woden 189/3 sitting on a shelf. Also have a Record non QR engineers vice on another bench, similar size to the Fortis, will have to decide which one to keep. I have had the record from new for about 45 years, so not sure.

The bench itself is ok, bit of woodworm in the top which will need treating, it racks a bit which will need sorting. I will put a shelf in it and take it from there. See how useful I find it.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back