Record 405 spurs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cagenuts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I recently bought a Record 405 Multi Plane but sadly it's missing one of the spurs. Is there anything special about these or can I just use an old carpet cutter blade and dremel it to shape?

Alternatively where in the UK could I get one? I've looked at oldtools.co.uk and fleabay but nuffin pops up.

For the record (sigh), the spurs are shaped like a three sided t-square.

record_405_spur.jpg

Attachments

• record_405_spur.jpg
    record_405_spur.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,964
There's nothing really special about them. Considering their duty, they just have to act like a small knife cutting across grain, to no great depth; from experience of sharpening similar ones (fiddly damn job!) they aren't super-hard. Something like an old sawblade or scraper would yield hard enough material. Might pay to drill the hole first and file to shape afterwards.

Secondhand ones do crop up from time to time. If you don't mind the time, emailing the better secondhand tool dealers might yield something. Also, I'm fairly sur you can buy new spares for some planes - they won't be far off dimensionally.

Cheshirechappie":1mpaeq5v said:
There's nothing really special about them. Considering their duty, they just have to act like a small knife cutting across grain, to no great depth; from experience of sharpening similar ones (fiddly damn job!) they aren't super-hard. Something like an old sawblade or scraper would yield hard enough material. Might pay to drill the hole first and file to shape afterwards.

Secondhand ones do crop up from time to time. If you don't mind the time, emailing the better secondhand tool dealers might yield something. Also, I'm fairly sure you can buy new spares for some planes - they won't be far off dimensionally.

They need to be the correct thickness so that the outer surface is in the correct plane (no pun intended).

The Stanley part might fit - anyone know?

BugBear

Good point on thickness, BB.

Since Cagenuts said the plane had lost 'one of it's spurs', I rather assumed he had another as a pattern. Silly - should never 'assume' anything!

Cheshirechappie":1jxaf422 said:
Good point on thickness, BB.

Since Cagenuts said the plane had lost 'one of it's spurs', I rather assumed he had another as a pattern. Silly - should never 'assume' anything!

You are correct with your assumption. There is one in the sliding section but not in the main body. I suppose I really only need two when cutting a dado but one would suffice for a rebate. No?

I'll measure the old one then slice something up in my workshop. Thanks for the pointer on drilling the hole first.

I've bought spurs on eBay from a Stanley 78 and they fit ok in my Record 405. The screw is the same thread, which is useful, but is longer and will need to be cut down for the thin sliding sections on the multiplane. The thread as far as I can measure it is 40 tpi but 5/32" so is another Stanley/Record oddity, not a standard Whitworth if I'm reading the thread charts right.

I sharpened them by holding in a pair of pliers and gently filing with a needle file, a bit like sharpening the spurs on a small auger bit.

Hello - is 'Old Tools' the Ray Iles site?? as if not he may be a good bet.
Otherwise if you don't mind paying postage across the pond I believe St James Bay Tool Co make a replacement Stanley spur which should fit. I have bought bits from them in the past and found them very helpful.

Best regards

Lawence

Back