Record 405 Multiplane Cutters in Box or Pouch?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martingchapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking out for a Record 405 Multiplane for a while.
I have seen them with the cutters either in a flat box or blue plastic pouch.
I am assuming that the ones with the boxed cutters are older than the ones with cutters in blue plastic pouches, typical economy change.

Does anyone know if this is correct or is there some other explanation for the difference?

Martin.

I think the cutters were usually fitted into a compartment inside the wooden box that the plane was supplied in. As far as I know the plastic pouches were a later development. Many of the cutters would also fit the Record plough and combination planes with the blue plastic handle - maybe the pouches were introduced at about the same time those planes became available (sometime in the 1970s I think). I think the cutters for the #405 were available after Record stopped making the plane.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The #405 I bought in the seventies came not in a wooden box, but a cardboard one. The cutters were/are in a plastic sleeve.

xy

p.s. Actually it might be quite an interesting project, to make a suitable box.

Hi All,
The 405 fitted boxes really are very nice items, with the wooden bar that drops in to hold the irons.
Got one this week in great shape but it has the irons in the blue pouch, I suspect that someone at the auction did a bit of 'migrating' as I thought the wooden boxed ones were there, such is life, fortunately I have a few sets knocking around somewhere....
Plus side was every other part was there.
Even got a 44 that had not had the clamp pinched! What joy.
Cheers,
Martin

According to recordcollector's site (a great resource!)
"All Plough Planes cutter irons supplied in a Plastic wallet from 1965" (this quote from the 405 section, but similar wording in the 044 & 050 sections)
mahking51":1mu5v8dk said:
The 405 fitted boxes really are very nice items, with the wooden bar that drops in to hold the irons.
I'd like to make one for mine (I haven't been fortunate enough to get a 405, but I've got the Stanley 45). Can you supply the dimensions? And maybe a picture of the internal layout?
mahking51":1mu5v8dk said:
Got one this week in great shape ....
Even got a 44 that had not had the clamp pinched!
Do plough planes have their own slope, or is Martin on the general hand tool slope.... :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

Vann,
My personal slope went way beyond vertical some time ago, ask Woodbloke or Paul Chapman! :D :lol:
Howkins, Lewins, Sargents, 044's 043's, bridles, I can't stop.... :roll:
Will take a pic of the box and post it tomorrow.
Cheers,
Martin

mahking51":1j3htoy0 said:
Vann,
My personal slope went way beyond vertical some time ago, ask Woodbloke or Paul Chapman! :D :lol:
Howkins, Lewins, Sargents, 044's 043's, bridles, I can't stop.... :roll:
Will take a pic of the box and post it tomorrow.
Thanks Martin, and a few basic dimensions....(please)

I saw an 043 in nice condition in a local secondhand shop for $NZ49 (~£22) two weeks ago. I'm tempted, but I've already got one that I haven't used in anger yet.

What slope.....?

Cheers, Vann.

mahking51":302mk64h said:

You haven't seen a slope until you've seen Martin's slope :shock: :lol:

Paul

xy mosian":3g52xgbv said:
Actually it might be quite an interesting project, to make a suitable box.

In case anyone wants to, this is what you are aiming at:

The box is made up of five layers of thin ply, glued and pinned together. The lid is pasteboard and buckram.

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

Paul Chapman":1otwbgl8 said:
mahking51":1otwbgl8 said:

You haven't seen a slope until you've seen Martin's slope :shock: :lol:

Paul
I can vouch as well as Paul that Martin needs urgent treatment...is there somewhere like a 'Slope' clinic that he book himself into? :lol: - Rob

Latest posts

Back