Record 405 cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryd

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record 405 with no cutters, and therefore no pattern for comparison. However, it looks as if Stanley 45 cutters would fit, as well as Record 50c. I'd particularly like to use the 50c, if they will work.
Is there anyone who could advise? (Where is Alf when you need her?)
Thanks in advance.

Yes....... well mine do. Record 045 and Stanley 45 and some of the straight 55 cutters are interchangeable.
I don't know about a Record 50c.

All plough plane cutters of this type seem to me to have cutters of the same thickness - different only in the adjustment coupler...... slots, grooves etc; if you disengage that part of the plane, almost all blades can be moved from one make to another. You do the advancement the old-fashioned way, by hand.

Spare cutters, individually or sets are available to get but can be pricey.

Yes....... well mine do. Record 045 and Stanley 45 and some of the straight 55 cutters are interchangeable.
I don't know about a Record 50c.

All plough plane cutters of this type seem to me to have cutters of the same thickness - different only in the adjustment coupler...... slots, grooves etc; if you disengage that part of the plane, almost all blades can be moved from one make to another. You do the advancement the old-fashioned way, by hand.

Spare cutters, individually or sets are available to get but can be pricey.
Thank, Argus,
That's a very helpful start.
Best wishes

I tried to solve this question a year ago and pieced this together:

Plough Plane Cutter Compatibility:

Clifton 405 notch
Record 405 notch
Record 43 notch
Record 44 grooves on back
Record 44C notch
Record 45C notch
Record 50 / 50A notch
Record 50C notch
Stanley 45 notch
Stanley 50 notch
Stanley 55

Blades are unique to 44, although 044C blades are similar to 405.

This is as far as I got. There may well be errors here, please chip in if people know more for my help as well as OP. It might give the OP some additional potential sources for his 405.

But it gets worse. Some have their notch on one side, some on the other. Some are longer, and some are shorter.

Unless you bypass the adjuster, your Record 405 will only take Record and Clifton 405 cutters, or Stanley 45 cutters. Flynn were selling off remaining Clifton 405 cutter stock a year or two ago, it might be worth checking their website.

Cheers, Vann.

Back to the OP......

If you have a Record 405 that is complete except for the cutters, then expect to pay 40 - 50 quid for a good set in good order. It will enhance your plane. Having said that, I've only used 3 or 4 on a regular basis on my Record in the last 30 odd years.........

What's missing apart from cutters?
We had a member here a long time ago, called Alf, regrettably not posting any longer, who compiled a list of manufacturer's Manuals for all the various 'Boat Anchor' planes as she called them, on her web site, but if you search around there are manuals available on line or from member here which will detail what was included as standard in the Record 405

Finally, new blades.
It is possible to get new-made sets.... however, the ones that I have seen differ in one fundamental from the originals. Their shape.
They are rectangular in cross-section, whereas the original blades from all the old planes were trapezoidal - in other words the thin sides were very faintly slanted from the back to the front bevel side; it was only a degree or two and it may not seem important. However a trapezoidal blade allows you to hone the sides so that both corners of the bevel is pin-sharp from all three angles and it provides a tiny amount of lateral movement as the blade descends in its groove, reduces the friction on the sides and allows the fence clamped to the edge to direct the accuracy of the work - not the unforgiving shape of a rectangular blade locked in an unforgiving groove.
A small point, sometimes overlooked, but it's important.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thank you, Nic, Argus and Vann.
Good point about which side the notch is - it does vary.
Very interesting to hear that the cutter section is trapezoidal. This is subtle stuff.
I have tried 50c cutters. They are the right length, have the notch on the proper side, and appear to fit perfectly.
There is an old post, on the is forum, by Jarviser, which confirms this.

Back