Recommendations for a small router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
I took a pick-axe to my Aldi Powercraft 1/4" router yesterday as it really was worse than useless.

I am looking for something 110v and small and light. The local tool shop only had a Hitachi b*****d child of a space invader and Transformer which really seemed hardly any different in size and weight to my Makita 3612C 1/2". Currently I'm routing out rather too many window sash edges so lightness and ease of use on site is essential. The Festool OF1010 seems an option, any experience of these?

No experience personally of the 1010, but it is on my to get list.
Also would one of the small trim routers with optional plunge base work for you?

Ps The 1010 is highly thought of over on the FOG

hitachi make a good router. Triton another well priced one but big.

But if you want a small one any of trend, makita,bosch would do a good job.

I have a Bosch trim router about a year old and it's serving me well so far. However I have read a few reports that they aren't so good. I paid £100 from Screwfix.

John

Thanks guys.

As I'm looking for small and light, a trim router would seem a good idea, I need to check which ones have plunge bases and attached fences.

The Festool seems good, but my wallet is still hiding after the last bright green purchase!!

Makita, bosch and dewalt all make a trim router with plunge base and adjustable fence.

Personally for me it would be between makita/ bosch as the dewalt isnt too far off the 1010 price.

Hi

I have experience with a few of the routers mentioned.

The Bosch GFK 600 I have had for a long time. It is robust enough, has lasted well and is easy to handle. ( I don`t have any of the extra bases just the standard one) . It is good for trimming and small bits. It does have a problem though which is its lack of variable speed. I would not put any big cutters in this one as its a bit "burny and scary".

I also have a Makita rt700c which is nicer than the Bosch, it has variable speed and I do have all the bases for this one which makes it a comprehensive kit. I have bastardised the tilt base for a specific purpose which I need all the time.
This router just has a nice feel to it and its definitely better then the Bosch one. Can be found on good deals too.

I also own the festool OF1010 (which I have justified because of the rails I already have and some specific stuff I was doing with an MFT3.)
This is the normal Festool quality (ie why didn`t I buy this years ago.) It has a nice fence and I like the depth stop arrangement. Variable speed and it comes with 8mm collet which I do use often.
The main difference with the festool is the excellent dust extraction, it is just better than all the others.

To sum up, the Makita is great, a well built and versatile router.

The Festool is... well its a Festool so its very well made and thought out. Also it is definitely more powerful than the others. It feels as powerful as a 1850 watt Makita I have but it is easy to control and one other thing I like is the fact that it stops very, very quickly once you release the trigger.

Hope this helps. ( I think I have too many routers )

Ollie

Ollie78":b4dqtvvr said:
Hi

I have experience with a few of the routers mentioned.

The main difference with the festool is the excellent dust extraction, it is just better than all the others.

To sum up, the Makita is great, a well built and versatile router.

The Festool is... well its a Festool so its very well made and thought out. Also it is definitely more powerful than the others. It feels as powerful as a 1850 watt Makita I have but it is easy to control and one other thing I like is the fact that it stops very, very quickly once you release the trigger.

Hope this helps. ( I think I have too many routers )

Ollie

Cheers Ollie

I'd nearly got down to ordering the Makita, and had tried to, but couldn't find out online who had the Makita Systainer/Makitainer case to go with it instead of the padded bag. I am now really torn between the Makita and the Festool. But down to being sold on "Festool Dustlessness" I think I am going to have to beat the wallet out from under the sofa and go green again.

I've used the smaller Festo for 19 years - nice as it is I prefer the Makita RP1110C for many jobs
They share many features, quiet motors, smooth plunge, good extraction built into the baseplate, no chip blower (the motor cooling air is directed away from the cutting point) the Festo can be used one handed but the Makita is compatible with Elu 96 accessories
Find a good tool shop and try them both - there's a gnats chuff between them in quality terms but the handling is very different
Matt

Hi Ross
I've bought the Makita 700c with the various bases and systainer box about a year or so ago and I'm very pleased with it. It's the one I reach for most often despite also owning an Elu 96E and 1/2" dewalt.
Would definitely recommend it.
Bob

Well then, I plumped for the Makita RT0700. It took ages to find one with the hard case, which pleases me a lot, even if it isn't a t'loc.

It sort of seems to be okay for a number of tasks but does really seem to be a bit gutless unless you're only trimming 9 square mm or less, plus there is no proper fence supplied for the plunge base and this costs at least £65 extra. I'm thinking it does a lot of jobs but few well. It's very good for routing out for hinges and shallow straight slots but doesn't seem to be good for trimming thick edges when more than 2mm needs to come off.

The extraction on the trimmer base is good but for the plunge base is completely useless, it makes you think your vac is on blow!

I've also noticed that I need to get used to using it safely as I managed to rout most of a finger nail off but just missed drawing blood. At least with the plunge base, both hands are safely lashed away from the sharp bit!

RossJarvis":nykk8yj3 said:
I took a pick-axe to my Aldi Powercraft 1/4" router yesterday as it really was worse than useless.

I am looking for something 110v and small and light. The local tool shop only had a Hitachi b*****d child of a space invader and Transformer which really seemed hardly any different in size and weight to my Makita 3612C 1/2". Currently I'm routing out rather too many window sash edges so lightness and ease of use on site is essential. The Festool OF1010 seems an option, any experience of these?

I'd love to see the video of that.

If you have a 1/2" router already, what about a 1/4 laminate trimmer/router. They're light, compact and easily used in one hand as they are in two. Any of the big makers sell good ones that come with all sorts of attachment options. In all the shops I've worked in the trimmers get far more use than the big routers for everyday stuff.

Edit: Bit late to that discussion, already been answered LOL.

Back