Recommend me a budget bandsaw please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfinsafety

Reaction score
Hi, I've joined up to this forum to get advice on buying a bandsaw. I've come to realise that I need one for the kind of projects I've planned, and after using a friend's one recently, now know that I have to buy one.

I've had a brief look online at a few different models, and have an extremely limited budget not to mention extremely limited space, so any bandsaw I buy must be very small and as cheap as possible. However, I'd like to buy something of reasonable quality, that will last and actually do the job fairly well. I know nothing about bandsaws, so any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

The models I've looked at so far have been:

(axminster)jet-jet-jwbs-9-bench-top-bandsaw-prod208702/

titan-sf8r-190mm-bandsaw-240v/56797

scheppach-basato-1-195mm-bandsaw-240v/77322#

Clarkecbs190-71-2-bandsaw

charnwood-w711-8-bench-top-bandsaw

sealey-sm1303-professional-bandsaw-200mm

draper-2-wheel-bandsaw-230mm

And this one from B+Q looks suspiciously similar to the Jet branded one, but for a lot less money:

Performance-Power-350W-Band-Saw-10957555

(Sorry, I've had to amend the links as apparently I don't have 'permission' to post them. How am I meant to show people what I'm on about? Most unhelpful forum feature)

Now I know that cheap tools are often of limited real use, and don't tend to last very long, but money is of prime importance here really. The Sheppach looks the best in terms of quality, and is at the top end of my budget, but is larger than some of the others. Is it worth the extra over the cheaper ones? Is there anything else in that price range I should be considering?

Can't help with the recommendations, but the links thing is to stop spammers. Once you've got a couple of posts under your belt, you'll be able to post links.

what depth of cut do you need? what is the space available? what is the budget?

Many of your links are the same basic product with different names and paint jobs - they all come from the same far-eastern sources.

I have a Delta I bought at least 15 years ago and still going strong (you could find this under different brands too). There was one for sale on this forum https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/for-sale-delta-bandsaw-20-t52748.html I'm sure it's long gone by now but this is the model I have.

You'll find they'll all work well with a decent blade (the supplied ones are usually rubbish) and attention to detail in setting it up. Axminster do a nice little fence upgrade.

I also have a larger band saw but use the little Delta for lots of work. I suggest you check out the cheapest and, if looks well enough made, go for that.

Marcros; I don't need a huge cut depth, 80-100mm or so will be fine. It'll be for smaller projects, not large furniture or anything big.

It will be used in my kitchen where my workbench is (I know, far from ideal but it's all the space I have in my shoebox of a flat!), so the smaller the better really.

The Scheppach is at the top end of my budget at around £170. I have budgeted for an extra £20-30 on a couple of new blades. So it all needs to come in under £200.

Harbo; the Startrite is far too big and far too expensive for me! I'd not be able to get in the kitchen at all if I installed that!

Yes, but who needs to cook if you've got a decent bandsaw to play with? ;)

Check out Tuffsaws for your blades...very highly regarded and excellent customer service.

How do, Mr Elf

I have one of the Deltas shown above for sale, and I'm looking for £50. It has a brand new tuffsaws blade, and is in decent used condition.

Let me know if you are interested.

Wood Butcher; I may well be interested, thanks.

I do need something which will be accurate and useable without too much tinkering really. ATM I'm erring towards the Scheppach, as it seems to be a decent machine. A knowledgeable friend has told me to discount the cheaper saws so it's now limited to the Charnwood, Jet and Sceppach, although we don't know anything about the Sealy. The Clarke model; I have a cheap Clarke pillar drill which is adequate but not fantastic. It does the job though. I'd prefer to avoid something of similar 'quality' really, hence why I'm willing to spend a little more. I'm told the Proxxon mini bandsaw is excellent, but too expensive for me sadly.

Just to say thanks to WoodButcher for delivering the Delta saw to me. Really pleased with it! And thanks to everyone else for their advice etc.

Latest posts

Back