Recent heat wave problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzeman

Established Member
Reaction score
The recent heat wave has caused me a couple of problems on my current project and wonder if this hot weather has affected any of your projects, apart from trips to the beach or Lido?

First the stock I machined as the boards for a F.L.B. door to fit exact in the frames width and the frame material. Made the arched top then the frame. Came to fix the boarding, have all shrunk in section by an 1/8”. Six boards when assembled ¾” short. So, a wider board in the centre and clench nailed the boards in place. Another two days, and they have shrunk again. I think I may have problems when the rainy season starts. I have used dry joints and draw dowels but the head is arched which I glued and laminated together forming a bridle joint to connect to the head of the stile. I am not a fan of glued joints for external work but I don’t know an alterative for curved work,

Secondly I have been experiencing a problem with resin seeping out of the stock affecting my ability to produce a sanded finish.

When handling the timber I can feel a stickiness on my hands. The purchased sanding sheets (cheapos from Lidel came with sander) are clogging up after a minute of use at most. I have cut squares of strong grit paper from a roll which work and last much longer (about 10mins) Apart from doing the job it is a good way of making a saving in that for a few pence it gives the sanding sheet a second life. Some one must have tried this before?

Pic of the clogged sheets. I have a cleaning stick, does not clear it.

sandpaperjpg.jpg

Pic of sanding roll, bought sheet, glued sheet and cut to shape sheet. Sander has a velcro pad.

Home+made+pads.JPG

Back