Reamer for chair sockets etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob, you need to prepare the edge of the reamer blade as you would a cabinet scraper.

Here is a link to a blog by Elia Bizzarri: Using a Chairmaking Reamer | Elia Bizzarri - Hand Tool Woodworking

Regards from Perth

Derek
Needs a bevel too, not just a cabinet scraper edge. I think my 1mm saw blade steel is not heavy enough for the job.
The sand paper on tapered spindle works brilliantly.
But I think I'm going to abandon tapered sockets until I can justify buying a proper reamer - just having a go at present, for one job.
John Brown just uses brace and bit straight through. Michael Dunbar uses some sort of ancient conical reamer like a spoon bit.

I don't have much experience with this Jacob. I settled on round tenons. From what I can gather this was the approach on Vernacular work.

I tried round tennons with a rounder first. It was okay. Next time will be on the lathe.

Gave up on the scraper reamer - just too slow, maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Instead am turning a nice bevel shoulder on the legs/spindles so that a bit of taper gets into the straight sided socket if I whack it with a mallet.
Just reading "Make a Windsor Chair with Michael Dunbar" which is impressive as he seems to do little else and has thought in minute detail about everything. Also worth reading just for the hand tool user tips.
Is it possible to buy his style of reamer (half a hollow cone with sharpened edges, as a bit in a brace) as it looks like the proper job?
Can't seem to find one on the net.

Gave up on the scraper reamer - just too slow, maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Instead am turning a nice bevel shoulder on the legs/spindles so that a bit of taper gets into the straight sided socket if I whack it with a mallet.
Just reading "Make a Windsor Chair with Michael Dunbar" which is impressive as he seems to do little else and has thought in minute detail about everything. Also worth reading just for the hand tool user tips.
Is it possible to buy his style of reamer (half a hollow cone with sharpened edges, as a bit in a brace) as it looks like the proper job?
Can't seem to find one on the net.
I’m only just starting chair making, but I’ve been watching a very experienced and quite talented chair maker at my club. The round tenon but running to a tapered shoulder, exactly as you describe is what he has shown me. Looks to work really well. Think I feel some lathe work coming in my near future!
My plan is to cut the tenon with a rounder then taper the rest of it down on the lathe.

Latest posts

Back