Really good customer service from Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiskool

Reaction score
I don't think that there are enough happy customer stories floating around on the internet, so I thought I would share my recent good experience.

I bought a Trend T5 from Axminster about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've only made about 20 cuts, making a hinge jig then routing out the some hinge rebates on our new internal doors. Then at the weekend it developed a fault. The T5 would start up, get to full speed then shut off, then it would almost get to full speed and again shut off, repeatedly doing this with diminishing spinning time until nothing happened at all. So I popped in to the Axminster shop on my way home yesterday, explained what had happened, and after a quick once over of the faulty router I was given a replacement straight away. All I ever seem to read are horror stories from people who get terrible service in these situations, so I was almost taken aback when there was no fuss whatsoever made about me returning the broken router. Little things like this go a long way in building trust and earning a good reputation. Top marks Axminster! =D>

Axminster are renowned for their excellent service. I've been a customer of theirs for years and they have never once let me down. I've had numerous things go wrong, been bent, delivered wrong etc etc ad nauseum and each and every time they've bent over backwards to solve the problem. They haven't grown to dominate the tool retail trade for no reason!

Their service is good. I just wish they would lower the postage charge a little. I'd buy a lot more small items from them if they did.

They are renowned for their customer service, which is excellent, but Woodpile is right about the postage thing, damed annoying when you only need a few small items.
Also the prices could do with adjusting downwards.

Waka":2dh8o4zo said:
They are renowned for their customer service, which is excellent, but Woodpile is right about the postage thing, damed annoying when you only need a few small items.
Also the prices could do with adjusting downwards.
I've used them for years and I agree their customer service is excellent. However their prices do seem a bit on the high side these days and I'm sure they miss out on many small orders through that £50 minimum for free postage. Perhaps they don't want small orders?

I'm (un)lucky enough to live within a 2hr train ride away from the Sittingbourne store.

At the weekend, with a cheap ticket, it's cheaper to pay a visit every now and then.

I also manage to fit in a daytrip to Sheerness whilst I'm in the neighbourhood.

I generally agree about pricing, postage doesn't seem too bad to me. I think you do have to remember the overheads of having shops where you can browse and ask questions etc. I do try and buy from shops that have been helpful rather than just from the cheapest place online. It does depend on what I am buying though. I'll buy toner cartridges online from the cheapest place but I'd rather buy a bike or a TV etc. from a shop who can offer help and advice.

+1 for excellent customer service from Axminster!!
there was a recent price change on some Lie Neilson planes, looking online though there was a big 'price drop' on an item LN 140 skew block plane, I'd had my eye on for a while, but when getting to the page.....
sold-out.jpg

oh NO!!
..however there was stock at some of the stores so Customer Services found me one, took payment over the phone, and it's on despatch as we speak!
now yes, alright money changed hands, that's their job, but most places are happy to say, outta stock, outta luck!!

also, Is it odd that most of the suppliers we talk about on the forum do tend to have excellent customer service, :D a trait now lost in the wider retail world....

Cheers All

Attachments

• sold-out.jpg
    sold-out.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 254
In the interest of balance I had an OK, but not exactly good experience with Axminster today.

A couple of weeks back they were doing a sale on clamps. I ordered four sash cramps and some Parf Dogs (I knew I would need some at some point, not urgent, but it got me to the free postage level). I had a delivery confirmation that the Parf Dogs had been dispatched but the sash cramps would follow on 1st December, now this makes a mockery of the postage situation as it means them sending two packages, but that is their choice. Nothing from Axminster since so I rang up today. They told me they were discontinuing the line and they didn't have any more.

Not happy I asked why their systems allowed the order to be taken, why nobody had contacted me about this and why they still showed as available in Basingstoke, my nearest store. Was told their systems were down and they'd call me back. I missed the call and when I rang them ended up speaking to a different person. Apparently one had been sent, they had located two more in theWarrington store but that was it, tough luck what else can we do we'll refund you they said. I said this was not the service I had been told I could expect from Axminster and that I would like to formally complain, as had they contacted me nearer the 1st when they sent the Parf Dogs there may have been more in store so I could of had the items I ordered. I was offered the team leaders email address, I said "don't bother I have your MD's email address, I'll email him".

Within five minutes of putting the phone down I had a call, well what do you know it had been sorted all along and the second person I spoke to didn't know because there were no notes on the system. All four sash cramps were oh old for me at Warrington and would be sent as soon as possible.

It could be that there was miscommunication and they were already on hold at Warrington, or it could be they weren't and my suggestion I would email the MD meant that a way of securing the fourth cramp was found. Well so many other stories are of good service and it's neatly Christmas, so I think I'll accept the explanation as provided and that it was miscommunication.

Terry.

Axminster customer service has always been excellent. About 15 years ago a promised delivery was missed I rang up to see what happened and explained how important it was. Half an hour later they rang to make sure I would be in later that day as it would be driven to me by Mr Styles personally. A round trip of 300 miles. That is customer service.

UPDATE
My block plane turned up today, badly wrapped so damaged in transit, missing its side fence and clearly was one 'stuck out the back' somewhere as it was rusty too!
However Axminster were good, a phone call got me an email with a Freeport return and a promise to despatch a new one. Just a shame the in store folks couldn't be bothered to take some time and consideration with a check over before despatch, :(
Lie Neilsons aren't cheap, don't treat them like a bit of Rolson tat!

Allow me to throw a spanner in the works.

I have just bought an Axminster Clubman sK100 chuck and the over-all service has been abysmal. I chatted on-line with a chap named Anthony after the courier failed to deliver, yet claimed to have had the consignment signed for by me. Anthony, you are very, very good at your job and having dealt with another rep since - you should be training the rest of the staff.

Now you may well be saying, "the courier being dishonest is not Axminster's fault," and ordinarily I would agree. The long and the short of it is, Anthony behaved impeccably, as any customer would expect from a company selling reasonably expensive tools and equipment. A replacement was ordered and it was arranged an alternative courier would bring the tool on January 2nd, taking the ne'erday break into account.

Here is where Axminster fell short of my expectations.
The courier was instructed to recover the "lost" item, and return it to Axminster. They delivered it to me, sodden wet, claiming it had been delivered and signed for at the wrong address. (The address in question is empty, has been empty for 6 months, has no curtains or blinds up, and has a for sale sign outside.)
The alternative courier could not collect for next day pre-noon delivery that day (not what was agreed) so the goods were sent via the original incompetent courier.
The pre-noon delivery (scheduled for December 31st) did not take place. The goods were delivered on January 2nd, mid-afternoon, which is what would have been the case had Axminster stuck to the original plan.
Axminster customer services, by this time, having arranged to contact me and not doing so, were completely unconcerned by the behaviour of their contractor. The representative dealing with my case appears to be satisfied that they have my money and I eventually got my chuck.
There has been no concern other than lip service to the inconvenience, or to Axminster changing agreed plans for no apparent reason.
To add insult to injury, they arranged for the same shonky courier to pick up the extra item tomorrow, on the understanding it would not be handed over without a receipt. The courier arrived today and refused point blank to give a receipt stating it is not company policy to give receipts for pick-ups.
My Wife eventually got the courier to sign a business card with the consignment number on it, and that is hopefully my last dealings with Axminster.

I can hear you still saying, "this is the courier's fault, not Axminster's."
That is where I disagree. In my opinion, having had a courier proven to be lazy, dishonest, deceitful, whatever - Axminster should never have sent that company back to deal with the same customer. Doing so has only served to wind me up. My feeling is, they (Axminster) care so little about their customers they are happy to keep rubbing salt into a wound.

In communication with Axminster, pointing out the failings of their contractor has been met with no response. All they appear to be interested in is getting their property back. All I can say is, I wish them luck with that. It is no longer with me, and after today I will not be dealing with them again.

Axminsters standard delivery is 5 pounds. What's expensive about that? By the time you factor in all the costs (yes, surprisingly they have to PAY someone to pack !!! Unbelievable but true!!) it's quite a reasonable charge. Certainly not excessive by any means.

The drill press I have came as a result of a lost delivery some 10+ years ago, a second was sent out and when the original one turned up they weren't interested in collecting one of them. SO my Dad ended up with two and I now have one.

MIGNAL":14nxtuo0 said:
Axminsters standard delivery is 5 pounds. What's expensive about that? By the time you factor in all the costs (yes, surprisingly they have to PAY someone to pack !!! Unbelievable but true!!) it's quite a reasonable charge. Certainly not excessive by any means.

They have to pay people to serve in the shops but they don't charge extra at the till for that.

That's irrelevent. If they choose to fund staff from the profit of goods that is their choice. It doesn't stop postage and packaging incurring costs does it?

Internet sellers who are wise only charge the true cost of postage.
As an example if I purchase scroll saw blades from Hobbies they charge £1.95 p&p and I consider that to be a true cost to them if I were to do the same order with Axminster there minimum charge below £50 is £4.95
It would make more sense to have a charge for individual items depending on size and weight that is a true cost than to have a blanket minimum charge for each order. If an order exceeds a certain price regardless of size and weight it then makes sense to include delivery in the total cost.
Axminsters policy of having a minimum charge of £4.95 for small low cost items must lose them a massive amount of potential sales.

Postage charges are a nightmare for both sellers and customers... Sometimes they don't make sense to me.. But being more "efficient" can add a lot to the time needed by the seller. as was discussed between me and Tuffsaws.

I sell a bit of stuff (a tiny drop in the ocean compared to say Axminster) I've found RM 2nd class small parcels up to 2 kilos for £2.80 the best buy around. Mostly takes a couple of days. Anything thinner than 25mm and less than 750 g can go large letter for £2.01 - even better! :)

Latest posts

Back