Ready made doors in custom sizes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat ferret

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes I know I could make one, I have made loads of doors but the customer wants lots of small windows and would be pretty time consuming and expensive so am looking at buying a ready made door and fitting that.

Problem is the door is 76 1/2 " x 31" and there's no easy way to modify the door frame. Standard size 78" x 32" doors aren't supposed to be cut down this much.

It's an exterior door too.

Anyone used any online door suppliers that do odd sizes in solid wood? Can anyone recommend any?

If you are looking at 32" exterior doors, frequently used as back doors in the past you'll probably find they are 2" higher too, as in 6'8" x 2' 8" (80"x 32"). 78"x 33"is the standard front door.
Using a 6'6" x 2'6" standard ext. door, I would hope you could add 1/2" each side at the stile , and cut an inch from the bottom rail, and 1/2" off the top.
Failing that you will be making a custom jobbie.

HTH Regards Rodders

I would expect george barnsdale would be able to supply you with a custom door but I expect it would be very expensive.

You could have a look at ukoakdoors.co.uk. Their doors can be cut down by up 3inches in either dimension. Used them myself (internal 1930s style) and they were reasonable for the price and supposedly made from english oak (laminated rather than machined out of solid) although they are cagey about where they are actually made!

On some of mine I had to cut more than 3inches off the length so I reinforced the joints with dowel and they are holding up ok although I am not sure I would recommend that for exterior doors.

Cheers, Tom

Rodd, all the doors I looked at said half inch top and bottom maximum or no warranty.

Looked at oak doors uk but not really what I need, it's to be painted.

So unless anyone has any other recommendations I will probably end up making one.

what about voiding the warranty and seeing if you can get away with it- explain the risk to the client and all that. I am not suggesting pulling a fast one.

Latest posts

Back