Ready for a craft fair?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillRiseley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all i have only been turning for like 4 months now but as im currently super quiet with my normal work and needing money do you think im ready to start selling at craft fairs? I have all my photos on my facebook page here.
https://www.facebook.com/HungrySquirrel

If you get a chance have a look and let me know. there has got to be a way of making money out there somehow???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don't forget that if you are selling your work you legally need to register with HMRC and may need PPI Insurance. You can register online and don't need to submit until you have done a full year but they do do inspections so it isn't worth the risk of not doing so. Insurance can be got for under £50 for a £5mil. policy.

Pete

Lucky you, puts some people off. Looking at your work I'd say that there is a lot worse out there being sold. My advice would be to do a decent display e.g. put something in the bowls such as a bit of fruit, potpourri etc. People like to see things in situ rather than just a table full of wooden things. If you do the cheaper fairs don't expect to sell a lot of things over a tenner, it can happen but people at those fairs buy the cheaper end spontaneously. Things like keyrings, light pulls, finger tops, usually sell and can make up the cost of your table. Also don't belittle your work and charge silly prices. If it doesn't cost much people assume it's chap in quality as well. Try and have something that is really eyecatching and perhaps more expensive to attract attention but then have things people can afford to buy on the spot. If you have a card machine already (possible if you are already self employed) take it as you can miss a sale not having one.

Oops...went on a bit sorry, hope it helps.

Pete

cheers Pete thats a great replyi need to get a lot of smaller stuff made indeed as i guessed thats what will sell. I planned a table with a nice cloth to cover it then some bits and pieces out with prices and little cards detailing woods and what they are. I think your right with something expensive and eye catching and lets hope it makes me some money as I need it.

I dont have a credit card machine as I dont do that much work to warrant the fees on one.

You can get a laminator for a tenner and print out a load of the labels on the computer, laminate them and cut to size. Looks a lot more professional than hand written ones (especially if your handwriting is like mine LOL). Good idea re: the type of wood etc. You can get card machines that work via your phone very cheaply. We have one on order so can't give personal experience yet but we have checked them out with others who have and the only drawback is possible reception in some of the places. Worth having a look at perhaps?

Pete

Latest posts

Back