Re: Tenons, how do you make yours?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shall have to time myself tonight to get in on this 'who's the fastest" competition...

Can I just point out that everyone who said 'domino' did not answer the question... as they're not making tennons, just cutting two mortises and inserting a slip tennon they got in a packet... So Nyah! :p

I don't know who that Sellers chap is but he must be a rank amateur, cause that's the way I used to make tenons and I'm a rank amateur (hammer)
Now I've got a decent bandsaw, TS I use one of them. Not because it's a better method [my inadequacies would mask that anyway] but because I get to the finished item more easily and quickly.

A friend of mine claims to have used a morticer for both morticing and tenoning :shock:

I did not cut the tenon using the RAS I cut using hand tools The picture of the RAS was taken in 2009 the tenon on the bench took about haf an hour including messing about with the camera.

When I use the RAS I cut one side of a tenon by hand and use it to set the height and positioning the stop for the sholders. This entails screwing the blade up to approx 12mm and fastning a block of wood with an F cramp. As many tenons as you like all identical.

An impression I got from some of the posts was that some woodworkers are not confident in cutting tenons in the traditional manner. Obtain some bits of timber and have a go. Practice makes perfect. In my oppinion the traditinal method has evolved over the centuries because it works with practice. The use of machines (which I love) is for speed, accuracy and low cost. When out on site on say a farm with no woodworking machines for miles one would sometimes be ask to replace a rail or post on a gate. If you could not action the repair because you could not produce a joint by hand you would be in bother.

Back