Ratchet screwdriver...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading an article in one of the woodworking mags not too long ago about ratchet screwdrivers. I no longer have the mag and cannot remember which was their recommended best buy. Don't s'pose anyone saw the article too and can remember the recommendation?

I have one of those Stanley ones linked above - very impressed with it, five years later it's still going strong and the built in bit storage is very handy and actually works properly to boot

I know it's not a ratchet but I mounted a hex shank magnetic bit holder into an old screwdriver handle after seeing a very pricey LN offering. I have to say it is my single most used (and useful) hand tool that will take all the rogular screwdriver bits as well as hex bits, torx bits, security bits, Robertson? square drive bits, countersink bits, etc etc.

I have that Stanley one too its very good for the money the only one I have ever seen that was better was a Snap-on one but that was probably ten times the cost of the Stanley :lol:

I have three Stanley Yankees (ratchet and push) that I've had for nearly 50 years. I'm only a hobbyist and DIY'er but they've seen a lot of use - still available I believe.

Richard

I have a modern Stanley one plus an old Miller Falls which I use with holder/adapters from LV.

I think Paul Chapman is your man - he has a Collection? :)

Rod

There's an American range called Skewdriver that include 3 to 1 and 4 to 1 ratio geared versions and a stubby ratchet. Rubbish screwdriver bits in their sets but superb screwdrivers

Doesn't answer the OP either, but I've found this stubby ratchet screwdriver insanely handy over the last few years. I have plenty of Stanley Yankees and so forth*, but this is the one that gets to live permanently on the workbench.

*Not as many as Mr Chapman, obviously... :wink:

Did someone call :lol:

Yankee1.jpg

Still the best ratchet screwdriver IMHO.

The good thing about Yankees is that with the introduction of the cordless drill/driver, nobody uses them any more (except Alf and me) so you can pick them up very cheaply in second-hand shops. Get yourself an adaptor and you can use all the various hex bits.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back