RAS Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennardesign

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just acquired a Dewalt Powershop RAS, I quickly realised that the amount of 'dust' it generated was too much for the dust extraction port on the blades safety guard. I set about designing another method of collecting the dust from this machine. Not one to re-invent the wheel I scoured the internet looking at what other woodworkers had done, I adapted one I saw that was made from wood. I decided that I would make mine using plastic ducting that I had in the workshop, the picture below shows the reverse side of the 'dust port', I will edit this post when I take another picture of the port in place. I cut two slots in the ducting to remove saw dust from the right hand side of the fence. Inside the ducting running parallel to the saw cut (but about 25mm short of the front end of the ducting) I have attached a piece of 12mm plywood that helps to make the plastic ducting more stable. All the ends of the ducting have been sealed with 12mm plywood and during tape applied. The dust port is attached to the fence via three counter bored crews through the fence and screwed into the ducting.

I hope to develop this a little further as this is Mk2.

Dust Port

Modified Fence

Here is the dust port in place, I need to 'Duct Tape' the 60mm extraction hose into the hole, I also want you cut the saw slot to accommodate the 'Dado' blade and perhaps a way of closing the saw cut down when its not needed.

Thanks for posting - I have a DeWalt RAS and so I'm very interested in your dust extraction addition. I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing how effective it is, and in due course hearing any thoughts you may have about a Mk. 3.
Jack

Jack

Thank you for showing an interest, if I was to make a Mk3 - I think I would incorporate dust extraction below the cutting length of the whole blade (perhaps with small holes). I am more than happy with Mk2 at the moment.

Brian

Back