Random orbital Sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hudson Carpentry":3dm8uqxr said:
Its no better the cheaper models, so if you ask me why spend more when you get just as good or better for less!

Exactly my conclusion with the AEG - so long as the pad doesn't wobble or fall off I believe it produces as good a finish and has as good extraction as the Metabo and probably also the Festool, and for considerably less money.

Mark

I went for the Makita, 50 free discs, and very good. not sure what the differences are going to be between these ROS, however it seems to me they would be marginal, as long as they don't breakdown.

I have nothing to compare with, however noted the makita in addition to the discs had a very long power lead. it has a fitted bag, or you can fit to extraction (sounds normal, however i was very annoyed that my new bosch palm sander has a micro filter, however with it's long rectangle port, you need to BUY a special adaptor, "not included" from god knows where, probably for £50).

I also like the balance, if you hold one handed on the central part, the weight is evenly distributed.

oh, and it's £50 cheaper than the metabo. but you don't get a nice box...

I didn't get any free discs with the AEG but a long power lead, dust bag, circular extraction port that doesn't need a special adaptor, and a big solid box are all included in the (low) price :wink:

Mark

I nabbed a nice looking Metabo in a systainer with various bits and bobs the other day for £40. I've got no real plans that require it, but this thread made it sound like a good idea :lol: :lol:

PeterSk":3kjlgwjz said:
I nabbed a nice looking Metabo in a systainer with various bits and bobs the other day for £40. I've got no real plans that require it, but this thread made it sound like a good idea :lol: :lol:

:-s Thanks for telling me that ----- Jammy b***** :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps - give you 50 for it :whistle:

PeterSk":6e3z6u9s said:
It's the model below the one you're looking at, 125mm discs instead of 150mm

Ah right - don't want it then :lol: feel much better now!

I need to go for a 150 pad as I have a quantity of abranet disks already as part of the Mistral fitting kit.

[/quote]

Hi Adam

Which model Mirka did you buy?

I'm still wavering on the ROS, don't want to make a mistake and though the Metabo 450 turbo kit is favourite, I'm still looking.

It's a long time since I've fitted a solid worktop (apart from granite) so a bit out of practice but for when it comes to shelling out best part of £300 v free glued blocks, I think common sense might prevail :lol:

cheers

Bob[/quote]

Bob,
I got the Ceros 650. 150mm pad, 5mm orbit. Was tempted to go for the 2.5mm orbit for finer finishing (of solid acrylics).
The sander really is the best I've used, including all those mentioned in the thread already, AND the Rotex.
You have to use one to truly appreciate the difference. It's so light and easy to handle, the extraction is top notch (using Abranet I cannot find any dust escaping - and using Mirka Gold - very, very little dust).
It's quiet, runs on 22v to the sander so is safe on site (using a 110v lead, of course).

I don't want to harp on any longer, but it is probably the best tool I've bought in a long, long time.

Adam.

I am quite an*l about parm sanders, if they don't feel right and i cant move them smoothly i don't like them.

I'm on my second Bosch Blue Parm now and love um. The dust extraction is a problem but just rest a 100mm pipe close to where your sanding with the filter on. The filter works well i think its just the stray dust. A pipe connected to the sander would hinder you when doing very curved work.

Shane":z6bmpuyu said:
Hudson Carpentry":z6bmpuyu said:
I am quite an*l about parm sanders

but not splelling :lol:

No im only an*l about splelling when people judge my dyslexia as a sign of my intelligence :wink: :lol:

PS also this sites spell checker does not work with my browser so im using the American built in one!

Is the Metabo worth an extra £60 and are there any others I should consider ?

I cant comment on the others 'cos I've not tried them, but the Metabo is superb. Quiet and almost vibration free. Consider a shop vac though, the dust does get around a bit.

Thanks for all the advice guys, will certainly help make my purchase.
Just got to find the best deal now :wink:

Bob

I saw a Ceros here in italy, and the moment i picked it up wanted to buy it.

Then the guy brought out the 240 to 110v converter (about 20 kilos) and i saw where all the weight had gone ;-)

this would still be very nice if i had other 110v tools that would justify investment in 110 converter, or for on-site work, and when he told me the price, i couldn't justify to SWMBO (I think it was about £800)

however it was the nicest sander i have ever held :wink:

Looking at the Mirka sander too. They are 22v DC brushless (not 110v) cost around £300. The expensive set includes an Alto Attix vac
Matt

isn't that the same as Ceros?

Sorry i forget what power outs the adaptor unit had, on hearing the price i stopped paying so much attention :wink:

In Italy the prices are about double to pay for corruption, so I still get a lot of stuff from axminster / rutlands, whilst i try to make contact with the corrupt, then everything will be about half the price :twisted:

Back