Random Orbital Sander Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like I have blown my ROS. It is a Performance Pro model from B&Q. Whilst sanding my decking it started screaming and loosing power. In the end it became very erratic and started jumping all over the place.

Any idea what may have gone wrong? Seems like it's bitten the dust :(

Hiya Wizer

Sounds like the disk bearing has siezed, its happened to me a couple of times :(

Solution 1) take it back to B&Q, they won't be surprised to see it back, and will exchange it if you have the origonal receipt. Their later models seem to a little hardier than the ones they had last year.

Solution 2) replace the disc bearing. This is fairly simple to do, I have a friendly bearing supplier nearby who usually has what I need in stock for around a fiver.

Solution 3) bin the ROS and buy a new one.

Dennis

thanks Jorden. Can't really take it back to B&Q as it's over 18months old and has taken a fair amount of work over that time. Plus no reciept.

New bearing sounds interesting, but then i'm thinking 'Will it go wrong again? ... and again?' If so then I guess this is the perfect oppurtunity to buy a new toy. :wink:

An even better excuse is that the missus is on my back to finish the decking this week :twisted: :p

Just one thing. it does have a 3 year warenty, try taking it back and seeing if you can get an exchange :wink:

i haven't looked at the link but I think it's going to be the Metabo DX150.

Strangely after my last post I searched the forum for ROS's and have been working out the best rout to D&M's show room!

ooops ;)

Neil":31wqmwsv said:
Looks like its time for one of these, then, WiZeR? :wink:

Cheers,
Neil

I think there's a better deal on at the moment at CSM justabrasives on the Metabo. On the front page, so I saw it the other day when buying some disks. csm

Jake":6pcy9699 said:
Neil":6pcy9699 said:
Looks like its time for one of these, then, WiZeR? :wink:

Cheers,
Neil

I think there's a better deal on at the moment at CSM justabrasives on the Metabo. On the front page, so I saw it the other day when buying some disks. csm

oops, too late! That is a better deal. However as I need this quickly then the D&M deal isn't bad and I can pick it up today.

18 months of hard work and they cost less than £20? Buy a new one because at that price and with a lot of use, I would be happy to replace every couple of years

I wasn't really complaining Tony. It was a good tool, but I wanted something a bit meatier for jobs like this. Next time the P.Pro ROS goes on sale I'll have one.

is it only me, but aren't things supposed to have 3 year warranties
under eu rules????

i only ask because often computer and other manufacturers sell
components in a set and try to get you to accept a 1 year warranty
when often the components actually have 3 year individual
warranties.

always worth checking, and at least you might well get a straight
replacement. :lol:
paul :wink:

Like what Tony said - £20 for the amount of work it gets through is a very good price :D

BTW Matabo are owned by Black and Decker aaren'tthey, seems like a lot for a Black and Decker tool :wink:

Dennis

*flameproof undies on*

Well, I bought it, and i'm dead pleased with it!

:lol:

Thanks all

BTW Matabo are owned by Black and Decker aaren'tthey, seems like a lot for a Black and Decker tool

I know they own Dewalt and Porter Cable but don't think they are anything to do with Metabo/Electra Beckum.

John

Neil, use the matabo in work had 2 of them new last november , one of them the spindle sheared and the base and all came off and the other started to vibrate intermitently last week. looks a good price tho. bosch gem150 ??? foumd them to stand up to alot of work.

Back