Raised Planters.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whippedUP

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just need a little help to source some C16/C24, 4 x 2 and 6 x 2 for a charity project. Or any other pressure treated timber.
I have been to a few local builders merchants, but all seems rather wet mc about 28%, is there anywhere that supply's dryer timber.
Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Hi matt, forgive the obvious question but I’m assuming these planters are for outside in which case they will subject to all the elements 24hrs a day . Either way many timber suppliers store there treated timber outside which could explain the m/c -my local b and q and wickes store there timber inside ( b and q ) store theirs in a unheated yard but it’s protected from the elements. A recent visit to wickes for p/t fence posts and other timber I found the treated section of timber only to find it was literally soaking wet. When I enquired why this timber was so wet the guy told me it was delivered that morning from their supplier. I’m guessing because it’s been treated the timber was kept outside and delivered on the back of a lorry uncovered.

Like Bingy man says, they'll be outdoors, and in contact with damp from the compost.
I'd use it as is but be sure to staple some woven weed membrane around the inside to help protect the timber longer

Just be careful with your choice as the chemicals used to preserve timber can leach out into the soil, lining the inside with say 15-20 mm strips and then as tris suggested line the inside with landscaping fabric will help to protect both the timber from the soil and the soil from the timber- I’ve done exactly this for two planters for my moms care home so it’s a good deed your doing.😍😍😍

Unless your landscape fabrics are waterproof, unlike ours that let water through but not roots, I don't understand how they would be of help. I made raised garden beds for our garden vegetables out of pressure treated 2x4 and pressure treated 3/4" plywood. They sit on the ground and are 2' high. I lined them with the dimpled plastic used to keep water from sitting against foundation walls by providing a drainage space. They keep the dirt away from the wood. I put landscape fabric on the bottom to keep weeds from growing out of the soil below. You might have to buy a roll which will be more than needed but a foundation waterproofing contractor might sell/give you some for a charity project.

It looks like this.
DMX AG Foundation Wrap - The Choice of Professionals
Or this.
https://uk.onduline.com/en/professionals/product/fondaline
Pete

Unless your landscape fabrics are waterproof, unlike ours that let water through but not roots, I don't understand how they would be of help. I made raised garden beds for our garden vegetables out of pressure treated 2x4 and pressure treated 3/4" plywood. They sit on the ground and are 2' high. I lined them with the dimpled plastic used to keep water from sitting against foundation walls by providing a drainage space. They keep the dirt away from the wood. I put landscape fabric on the bottom to keep weeds from growing out of the soil below. You might have to buy a roll which will be more than needed but a foundation waterproofing contractor might sell/give you some for a charity project.

It looks like this.
DMX AG Foundation Wrap - The Choice of Professionals
Or this.
https://uk.onduline.com/en/professionals/product/fondaline
Pete
Just to clarify my advice- The liners are not waterproof but the strips I mentioned provide an air gap and keep the majority of the liner off the sides , water of course will drain through to the bottom but this is inevitable, you can however use plastic for the base , I’ve used the bottom of commercial bread trays previously which don’t rot and provide perfect drainage. Wooden planters will rot eventually but a few precautions can extend their life significantly.

If you can source it, larch (ideally Siberian but local will do) is pretty good for outdoor use without any nasties. Just made a couple of raised planters for daughter using larch left over from cladding their extension. In this case, the actual plants are in plastic planters so the wood is really only there for show. I would line ones where soil is potentially in contact with the timber with DPM, and just punch some holes in the bottom for drainage.

Can't really explain the science of it but in 30+ years as a gardener I've found that a good woven landscape fabric will pretty much double the life of treated timber in contact with compost.
Most plants in these sorts of planters are annuals/replaced seasonally so root penetration is not a big problem

Can't really explain the science of it but in 30+ years as a gardener I've found that a good woven landscape fabric will pretty much double the life of treated timber in contact with compost.
Most plants in these sorts of planters are annuals/replaced seasonally so root penetration is not a big problem
I could be wrong but a lot of folk use compost of one type or another and as such it doesn’t hold water well unlike a heavy soil . I think the fact it’s lined as you say - they definitely last longer. 🤗🤗

DPM is cheap and effective, don't see any reason to do anything other than line the walls in that??

Martin

Thank you guys for all the advice, I am going to make 1 from standard C24, 4x2 and 6x2.
And I have a bundle of Siberian larch, I shall make one from this.
Have a great start to the new year.

Hi guys, hope all having a good start to 2023.
Ok so put this together out of C24 using 4 x 2 and 6 x 2. 600 x 600 x 600. Like it, care home likes it, its heavy, strong, never going to move:)
For the 2nd one, I have some off cuts of Siberian larch smooth decking, 70 x 120mm. is there a list or thread regarding timber stockist, cant seem to find much down south, a lot up north.
Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Back