Railway sleeper - doner timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnemtee

Established Member
Reaction score
I spent today making lots of sawdust from an old railway sleeper rescued from a friends garden last year.
I planked it at the time but today I spent the time to plane it to a finished size ready to make a unit for our bathroom.
The timber is quite pink/purple although with a bit of wax it does resemble mahogany - any ideas?

Sleeper.jpg

Could it be Keruing? The stuff they use a lot for tree-planting stakes, at the garden centres.

Never seen any red iron wood, so I am just making a suggestion.

Does this stuff work well John? I am thinking about using some sleepers, if I can find some old ones.

John

The stuff is as hard as hell and heavy as lead!
I havent hand worked any yet just power saws and thicknesser. It cuts clean with no splintering from the chop saw- lotsa dust!
Must be 100 years old and not many sleepers were made of this but if you find the odd heavier one its a good chance that it is something interesting.
Problem is, now I have said that I am making a bathroom unit some bright spark will ask to see it, so I hope it turns out OK :)

I burned out an old 10" table saw. Cutting from both directions I just got enough depth of cut. Lots of smoke but maybe the blade was a bit old.
A friend has a bandsaw but I didnt want to risk someone elses machine especially as one is never sure about nails and foreign bodies.
I shall spend today making more dust getting the timber to finished sizes for my project.

John,

I asked this in general chat, but no one answered!

Where did you get the avatar displayed with your posts?
I have scoured the internet but can't seem to alight on the right link. :?

Cheers
John W
:)

hi
its likly to be jarah
i known that used too be used for sleepers in locations of points and switches on rail lines
theres a site of a company jarahboski furniture who use this stuff extensively theve got some interesting pieces made from it.
dave w

I thought (old) railway sleepers were of Jarrah - maybe it all depends from where, when and to who they were originally sold.

cheers,

Ike

(Doh" - beat me by a second! :lol: )

Thanks John...

Not a meanie, but they want me to pay. Wouldn't mind if I used the animations extensively, but I don't!

Thanks anyway.. The router will do me for now! :D
John

Jarah (sp?) is (was) a favourite for making (real) railway sleepers (my other hobby...)

Avatars - Theres a huge free section- Yes its branded, but I can live with that.

The Timber - No white flecks Just as the pic shows.

We might think that Alf, but John couldn't possibly comment!

And what's this about no life in Cornwall?
If I could choose a place to have 'no life', then it would have to be Cornwall... Anytime! Alien Life Forms or not... \:D/

Happy Chippering

John

johnemtee":w7cusdun said:
Avatars - Theres a huge free section- Yes its branded, but I can live with that.

The Timber - No white flecks Just as the pic shows.

I couldn't see the 'brand-mark' at first John. Hence I use a bright bench light in the shop!

Cheers for that.
John

We await your new avatar with some trepidation - If you Google "avatars" you will find several free sites to choose your own bit of wimsy.

Latest posts

Back