Rail & Stile Router Bits for External Door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glynster

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a R&S router bit set for making an external door? - ideally beaded or bead and cove. I cant seem to find any except for the Freud ones in the USA - and why can't I seem to buy proper Freud bits in the UK or Europe???? Seems mental since they are made in Italy. Anyway, if anybody knows of an alternative that would be great - they add up once you add on import VAT, customs, postage and awful conversion rates.

I'm not averse to the ebay Yellow ones per se for general stuff but for such massive stock removal I dont think I want to trust them

I've already checked Wealden - they're very decent cutters for the price (very similar to the Whiteside ones I have from when I was in the US) but they dont always offer the widest selection of more job specific stuff. They do some stile and rail cutters (for cabinets) and T&G sets that will do a 30mm internal door but nothing that can handle a 40 to 50mm external door - unless I am missing something.

glynster":2esv94ls said:
I've already checked Wealden - they're very decent cutters for the price (very similar to the Whiteside ones I have from when I was in the US) but they dont always offer the widest selection of more job specific stuff. They do some stile and rail cutters (for cabinets) and T&G sets that will do a 30mm internal door but nothing that can handle a 40 to 50mm external door - unless I am missing something.

If Whiteside do them, then the bits can be had in the UK from http://www.routercutter.co.uk - I use them all the time.

Hope that helps.

Paddy, I hadn't thought of doing it like that - I was thinking of a single large cutter assy to profile the entire mating face of the timber in one go but it seems as if those Wealden cutters require you to cut one face at a time - cut one edge and then flip the work over to mirror the profile on the other face - I can see that would work providing rail and stile timbers are exact same widths which is easy to do. However, I can see cutter T1396 would leave you with a suitable tenon once you'd done both edges but T1391 is not going to leave you with a matching mortise is it?? I would imagine that cutting one to match exactly might be tricky since the width and position of it will vary with each thickness of timber and wont be a standard rebate bit size - at least thats how it looks to me or am I missing something obvious?

If you cut the scribe first and then the profile you can adjust the depth of the scribe to give you a convenient mortise and groove size to cut in the other piece. However the stub tenons from rail and stile bits are just about ok for cupboard doors but for a large door i think longer tenons are needed, preferably through tenons with wedges. This makes cutting the scribe difficult at the router table. The options are to cut the scribe with the router in your hands after cutting the tenon or to use loose tenons and some sort of router jig, or domino xl if you have one.

Back