Rail and Stile router bit - combo or matched pair?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCM

Reaction score
I'm going to be making quite a few cupboard doors soon. Previously, I've made simple doors, mortice and tenon using rabbit and straight bits (very 'make it up as I go along' style!).

For this project, I'm planning on using my new router table and some proper rail and stile bits (probably shaker or a simple ogee)

My question is:
What are the pro and con of using a single combo bit, or using a matched pair of bits?
Bearing in mind that I only have a single router table, and that my skills at planning ahead for a good workflow is not great...
What would be best to use, and what brand (Wealden / Axminster / something else?)

For information, the door frames will be oak, and the insets will be MDF or ply. The doors will be painted.

The only difference I can think of is that you may be limited in height using the combo compared to the matched pair.

As a general rule you always machine the rail tenons first and then the stiles.

But Painted oak doors with mdf panels? What made you chose that combo?

Louis

Last edited:
The really issue of single combi bits is your stock thickness needs to be consistant and accurate. As usually you flip the work between processes.
With seperates it doesn't matter if your stock is slightly out.

I use both types of cutters in spindle blocks but prefer seperates.

The only difference I can think of is that you may be limited in height using the combo compared to the matched pair.

As a general rule you always machine the rail tenons first and then the stiles.

But Painted oak doors with mdf panels? What made you chose that combo?

Louis
So, the matched pair will give me more flexibility on thickness ?

To answer the question of wood choice - I have reclaimed oak (just under 20mm) which will be used for the doors. For the panels, probably will actually use ply - I suspect MDF would be more stable, but I’d expect that ply would give a more consistent paint finish (MDF painted can be a bit ‘smooth’ for my liking)

The really issue of single combi bits is your stock thickness needs to be consistant and accurate. As usually you flip the work between processes.
With seperates it doesn't matter if your stock is slightly out.

I use both types of cutters in spindle blocks but prefer seperates.

and this nicely answer my last question about stock thickness :)
Given that I am using mainly reclaimed wood, I guess separates is the way to go!

Back