Rail holster on bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody else done this?:
IMG_20230422_131306.jpg

IMG_20230422_131320.jpg

I wanted somewhere to put the rail in between cuts. All my tables always seem to be full or out of reach so I'm hoping this will be a handy place to put it down in between cuts.

By the way ignore the second rail at the bottom of the picture, I was thinking about putting another holster at the bottom and was trying out the placement, I don't think it will work as I want to keep the rail square and ruler attached at all times so that ones probably getting stored on the wall.

Martin

Nope. :) Could you widen the hooks and put the extra rail behind the first?

Pete
It would probably fit in there already in terms of width, it's 18mm, but the other rail is a weird shape and I don't think it's going to work attached to the bench full stop.

That was a problem with the end of the side mitre rail on my table saw, it hurt, my solution below, something to slide over the end may work.

Attachments

• DSC01463.jpeg
    DSC01463.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Nice solution. Won't work for me 🙂
I think what I will do is not store it there permo, I will just use it between cuts in that location and at end of the day tidy it away to proper storage location.
That's been useful, now I know I need to have a permo storage area too 👍

(Potential) downside? The rail parts sticking out, if you walk past and catch them, a b gger to straighten the rail?
Otherwise an excellent idea.
<grin/> Just build a longer bench so the rails don't stick out!

I have a few things that are needed then for saftey *sharp corners* need to be put away......
As they are steel I use Lidil's tool magnetic bars fixed to the roof beams.....
stuff like rules etc are always to hand.....
I even have a few for my brick trowels...

just an idea but not for your ally part.......

So I spent some time using my track saw at the weekend and the new holster for the rail is a massive upgrade for me. It's worked out way better than I expected. It was just an experiment, but it has solved the problem I was having and I find I now have a much better flow when working on the MFT now as the rail isn't constantly getting in the way and needing to be 'managed' - lifting it off and finding someplace to put it. I just don't need to think about it now, which is what I want.

I really see the benefit of having a hinge now, although having said that most of my cuts at weekend were 1200mm long and I had to use the MFT lengthways so the hinge wouldn't have worked with that.

Martin

Back