rail and stile router cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddy Roxburgh

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a load of cabinet doors (not quite sure but about 20) to make in the coming weeks and while I hate routers and am suspicious of Rutlands I am sorely tempted by this offer.http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+complete-d ... -1-2+tr302 Especially as they are doing a free delivery and 15% off Easter deal. The rail and stile bits with a raised panel bit from Wealden is three nearly times the price. I'm also a little disturbed by the ebay picture of the Rutlands bits http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rail-and-Stil ... 1945321201 as they show a picture of a really poor fit.
So does anyone have this set and are they ok?
Should I just bite the bullet and buy the Wealden set?
Should I just stick to my planes and mitre the corners and plough the grooves?

Paddy

Hi Paddy
I've not used those particular cutters but I have used similar in the past. They are a bit of a pain to get spot on.

I prefer a combo cutter and I alter the height of the workpiece rather than the cutter. Clicky.

That one is a shaker-style one from Axi, I also have an ovolo one from CMT.

Hello,
I bought that very same set. I used it to make two sideboards with 6 doors. The cope and stick set work ok, but are a bit long winded to get spot on, and it has to be. You will need to prevent breakout on the back edge of the cope. Ideally you need two 1/2 " routers so that you can set up each cutter but I did it with one. It requires specific thickness of timber, which I cannot remember, so there is not a lot of lee way. The fielded panel cutter is a huge thing. I used it once but was not comfortable with it. I cut the field panels, which were in oak, by hand. You will need a fine height adjuster for the router and plenty of practice peices. Good luck

I used a Trend pro table.

Clockie":1910exh7 said:
Hello,
I bought that very same set. I used it to make two sideboards with 6 doors. The cope and stick set work ok, but are a bit long winded to get spot on, and it has to be. You will need to prevent breakout on the back edge of the cope. Ideally you need two 1/2 " routers so that you can set up each cutter but I did it with one. It requires specific thickness of timber, which I cannot remember, so there is not a lot of lee way. The fielded panel cutter is a huge thing. I used it once but was not comfortable with it. I cut the field panels, which were in oak, by hand. You will need a fine height adjuster for the router and plenty of practice peices. Good luck

Sounds like you did this operation freehand?! Not in a table?

Not that I do them often, but when I do I have a reference Rail and a Stile that I keep in a dark dingy corner of the "workshop" for the purpose of setting the cutters height.

Back