Radiator pipe lagging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to change the upstairs hall carpet and I have a radiator at the far end in the bathroom, the pipes are under the squeaky floor boards that I have to fix.
Is it a good idea to lag the pipes to the rad as I will have the boards up, the rads all get very hot.

Most people don't bother under floors unless it is liable to freezing. Sometimes there is lagging to stop the noise of the pipes expanding when the heating comes on. Screw the squeaky board down. It is generally nails working loose that means they are noisy - and don't put one through the pipes DAMHIKT!!

The general rule is not to screw any floorboards, unless they have been taken up.
I've seen several cables and unknown pipes pierced.
Very, very messy! Regards Rodders

Golden rule with boards is never never never put a screw or a nail through the middle third of the board unless you know whats underneath.

Like wise never run pipes or cables towards the board edges.

I wouldn't bother lagging pipes under floors upstairs.

Just to offer a range of suggestions... When changing some fitted carpets in our house I found that the underlay had crumbled to dust where the primary pipes from the boiler ran along under the floor. I put foam insulation on the pipes and have not had the same problem with the new carpets.

I am a believer in lagging even where not liable to freezing as you are loosing heat to the void under your floorboards.

blackrodd":2db3fe4q said:
The general rule is not to screw any floorboards, unless they have been taken up.
I've seen several cables and unknown pipes pierced.
Very, very messy! Regards Rodders

Since getting the house rewired and partially replumbed, I've been drawing a map on the floorboards as a rough guide. Not that I don't check before screwing anything down, mind

Underfloor heating is supposed to be the most efficient of all. It's all staying in the house, I wouldn't bother.

Back