Radial arm saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilricketts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya, some advice needed. I am interested in buying a radial arm saw. There 2 models that i have seen but do not know which one would be the best or if they should be avoided. The models in question are
dewalt DW110 &
dewalt DW1370

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Neil

The 110 is an old model very strong construction not much plastic but in essence the same as the current 720, right down to the 1.25HP motor.
I have one of these at the moment and have refurbished it because its a favourite model of mine..... ( First RAS I ever had )
I had 4 Dewalt RAS in the workshop and one had to go. I sold a really good Elu 1250 rather than the 110..... My main one is a 721 (12") and another under the bench, refurbed and resting.
Not much to go wrong with any model, apart from issues brought about by neglect and misguided maintenance. By this I mean such things as using WD40 as a lubricant, which it is not, and greasing the roller head tracks, which are best dry lubed ( Graphite) or not lubed at all and just regularly wiped clean.
Grease on these tracks attracts dust and this holds dust which builds up and is compressed by sliding the head, becomes lumpy and leads to poor travel characteristics on the head and ultimately overloads the sealed bearings.. This results in jerky sloppy travel on the arm and loss of accuracy and may even cause binding of the blade and kickback.
Really this applies to all models, not just the 110. Apart from the smaller folding model meant to hang on the wall when not in use. This has a liner on the arm tracks and generally is a model to be avoided.
I have not owned a 1370, so cannot comment, but if you have any questions about the 110 I will answer if I can.

Hi, thanks for that, are the parts still available if it need servicing and if so where can you get them from. Also what are the cutting dimensions on the 110.

Hi, i have also been offered this model Radial Arm Saw ISD Charnwood R630 also known has the w630. Does anyone know anything about this saw or have used or owned one.

Cheers Neil

the major drawback with the dewalts and most other modrem cross cuts is the slide is cut into the arm casting lack of service can result in the bearings wearing the slide itself also the castings are of poor quality. once this happens its new machine time.
If you want modern look at the maggi which has a square steel bar bolted to the arm but this machine is known for weak brakes.
the other alternitive is a wadkin bra you can get one fully rebuilt and puwer complient for £1650 I installed one of these about 3 weeks ago in redruth and to my mind its the bst your likly to find. far better than anything new on the market

Back