Quiet compressors and pin nailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few months ago I purchased a Hyundai 50 Litre Air Compressor, 11CFM/100psi, Oil Free, Low Noise, Electric 2hp with 5 Piece Accessory Kit | part no. HY27550+5 Piece kit
I've yet to use it but I intend to use it for 16g finish nailer and wood treatment spraying and maybe even sanding once I've purchased an air sander.
I'll be cladding the inside of my shed soon so will be able to be more help then.

Thanks. Quality reports would be interesting, but I don't need anything capable of operating continuous duty tools like sanders, grinders etc. Just minimum 8 bar and quietish.
Steve

@petermillard can I ask what your usage is? I'm guessing it too is just workshop based nailing? I know you do some painting but I'm assuming not with the 8l Hyundai?
Steve
Yes, just light workshop nailing - 16g, 18g. I’ve bought a 23g (cheap arrow one) but haven’t received it yet. I don’t spray any more, but when I did I had other solutions, as you say. 👍 HTH

Did you pick it up while over there, or mail order? If the latter, where from?
Steve
Bought it direct from GREX at a cost of $190 plus stainless pins the total $310 then S+H (?) $73.33 total $383.33 plus import duty and VAT of £70.19 maybe a bit expensive but the workers all say it's the best we've had. I would definitely buy another. Stan

Bought it direct from GREX at a cost of $190 plus stainless pins the total $310 then S+H (?) $73.33 total $383.33 plus import duty and VAT of £70.19 maybe a bit expensive but the workers all say it's the best we've had. I would definitely buy another. Stan
Thanks for the info. Think that's too much for me as I can no longer expect to earn a living from it long term. Also depends on whether my mate is expecting mates rates! When he knows the cost of oak for the area he's considering he might change his mind.
Mind you he probably doesn't realise what renovating & maintaining a several hundred years old timber framed house will cost either.

I'm thinking I've probably got a couple of years to fund & rekit a small workshop at home, so still willing to do a few things for money. After that I'll just be a recreational woodworker for us & family.
Steve

I was told you can have a normal conversation over the noise of a Bambi compressor. I wonder if that's the usual sales speak? At least with finish nailers it shouldn't be running much.
I don't want to get an electric or cordless pinner, I just don't like them. Give me air anytime.
Steve
Steve I have a Bambi 75/250 compressor it’s absolutely amazing how quiet it is sits next to the lathe and hardly hear it running and it’s most probably 30 years old now.Bambi compressors are what dentist us for their tools .

Attachments

• A16D9732-8F1F-4A98-9987-76B040BD4C57.jpeg
    A16D9732-8F1F-4A98-9987-76B040BD4C57.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I once had a very large air compressor that used to frighten the living daylights out of me and anyone nearby whenever it started up. It didn’t really bother anyone as the workshop was in the garden along way from the house. I have now replaced it with a silent dentist and medical type compressor, much smaller, and so quiet by comparison. It does all the stuff I used the large machine for, and doesn’t bother anyone now that my workshop is on the ground floor of our house. It is not a Bambi but something very similar.

I have a Senco compressor that barely makes a noise, a recent upgrade from my old one that made me wince every time it fired up in a customers house. As for pinners, I use the Bostich 23g and have never had any issues.
At some point I'd like to get cordless nailers, but I think I'm a little way off that yet 💰💷

I was looking into the same recently - wondering if a 23ga pinner would be any good for fixing oak architraves. The pins are supposed to be small enough not to need filling.
I was looking at Senco and noticed that they have a new (at least to me) range of low noise portable compressors with a white colour scheme. Their other machines are finished in hammer grey paint. There's a big difference in the noise numbers so maybe worth a look.
That’s too small for architrave, you’d need an 18g.

Back