Quicktime picture viewer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Restorer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've got the installed, but when i try to view any JPG images all i get is a grey screen within a screen. The second screen tells me the photo title and size and i can get image details i.e. pixels etc, but i just can't see it.

Anyone got any ideas?

I can see the image by opening it with windows picture and fax viewer or opening it into the various photo software i have, but not in this picture viewer. It means a bit of faffing around and trying to remember how to do it hen anyone sends me a photo.

Thanks

Steve.

Hi Steve

Think we might need a bit more information such as platform, browser etc.

Why are you using Quicktime to view a jpeg? I thought it was really aimed at mpegs, mov etc.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Using windows XP and outlook express 6.

Using picture viewer as when someone sends me a photo i.e. JPG file my pc loads up this picture viewer thingy and i get the problem as described.

Thanks

Steve.

Sorry Steve I thought you were referring to looking at pictures on the forum threads. I don't use Outlook express and so can't really help.

Sorry

Roger

Hi Steve,

It's been a while since I used Windows myself, but I am going to make the guess that you can change the program that opens JPG files by using the "Set Program Access and Defaults" feature in Windows XP (so long as you have Service Pack 1 or 2 installed). Here is an artice from Microsoft that introduces the feature. I reckon you'll need a custom configuration and there ought to be a category for image viewer, where you should see some alternatives to Quicktime are listed.

I expect someone else will be along soon to confirm or refute this idea.

Cheers

Steve, if you open up Quick Time Player. (I'm assuming it's version 7.0.4)

>select Edit tab
>select Preferences
>select QuickTime preferences
>select File Types
>select Still Images

You may wish to reduce the file types selected to:
MacPaint image
PICT image
QuickTime image.

Having done this you may have to re-associate JPG's etc with your choice of program.

One way of doing this if you are not happy with delving into XP is to Right Click the image file and select:
>Open With - then possibly
>choose Program.

and tick the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." box.

If you really want to use the QuickTime Still image viewer then I would check that all XP updates are installed and then remove and Reinstall the latest QT. without giving it the opportunity to grab all file type associations.
You can always right click a file and point to QT if you wish to view a file that way or re-associate.

I had similar problems with QuickTime :cry: :cry:
It was downloaded with a website thingy.

Laptop runs on XP, so i deleted QT and went back to the other picture viewers that were installed.

Phil
:D

Back