Questions for the oracles !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all , I have a couple of questions for the wise and hoped you may be able to help .

1 ) I have to make some laminated curved sections , similar to the radius of a railway carriage roof . It will be made up of 4 to 5 sections and I am looking for a glue preferably PVA of some nature with a decent open time as I will be working this solo so need the time to glue up and clamp myself , total curing time is not important as I only have 5 to make and several weeks to do this in so can remain clamped for days if needed . Have thought about cascamite but I can be dealing with the sticky mess everywhere as I work .

2 ) I have just splashed out on a new toy , spindle moulder , which will be arriving on monday , I have spent to long struggling with a router table setup for bigger stuff . Ant way , I need to make so 42 x 12 mm rebates , 12mm being the depth of the cut as I am using a 50mm block , It is soft wood so not massively dense , would "you make a 12mm cut in one or two goes .

3 ) I am currently about to start a long run of windows and I am in need of painting them pre fitting , primer and undercoat and topcoat , ideally looking for someone to spray them as to be honest , all the decorators around me are either ruff as a nuns #### or to busy . I am based in south somerset , so preferably looking for some one local , would anyone here be interested or can recommmend someone , I have found a sprayer near-ish but have no personal recommendations .

Thanks for any help in advance

cheers Sam

Titebond 3 will be perfect for what you are doing.
A 42 x12 rebate in one hit with a rebate block should be not problem for a spindle molder

ComfortablyNumb":3r8ts302 said:
A 42 x12 rebate in one hit with a rebate block should be not problem for a spindle molder
If the machine is big enough. You need 5HP+ for big rebates (in one pass), and a power feed.

The rebate is best cut in one pass.

In 1 pass the wood is square so fully supported along the infeed fence. If you try 2 passes, then the second pass will be difficult to do as the component will try and roll. It is not a huge rebate, most spindles will cope easily, especially in softwood.

If it sounds like large chips are breaking off while machining, it may require a higher spindle speed ( assuming your feed speed is already slow enough). Spindle moulders are often run just on their 2nd speed, around 5000-6000rpm and sometimes the 3rd speed setting around 8000 rpm cuts more cleanly on a heavy cut-always check the block. Rebates blocks have quite a high max speed as they are a circular disc.

If you have a power feed it is best to have the rebate block working above the work. For joinery, it is conventional to mark out the work so any bow in the timber faces to the fence and down to the bed (thats the convex side). There are a few considerations on this, so Im sure there will be differing opinions.

A 12x42 rebate is best cut in one pass. The workpiece is a lot better supported. If the machine is on the small side you may end up hand feeding.

I recently dragged home an old 8kW motor and a secondhand variable frequency converter. When I get around to fit them to an old Jonsered FM-C which I got cheap because it had lost it's motor I will get quite a spindle moulder.
I have outgrown the 2,2 kW spindle on my combination machine.

Thanks for the advice guys , I already use titebond 3 so that answers that question . The spindle moulder I am getting is the Charnwood WO40 , which is 1500 watts or 2hp . As said earlier I am only using Joinery Softwood , so I shall give it a go at one pass . I have found the problem of reference points against the fence when making multiple pass's on the router table , using a Trend T11 in a record table . I use a 35mm cutter and as you say the more you remove the less stability you end up with , hence going for a spindle moulder . Will be running wealden cutters , so if it going to work , it has its best chances .

Thanks for your help and I will keep you posted as to the result ,

cheers Sam

Latest posts

Back