Questions about Record 2506 blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Which are the original skew and the bevel angles of the Record 2506 side rabbet planes?
These values ​​are the same for both the blades?
Which is the best honing guide to maintain these angles?
Do you know if there is still someone who produces blades for these planes?

Cheers from Italy,
Andrea

Hi Andrea
In the absence of more informed response, I'll offer generic tips which may help.

As these are very low angle bevel up planes, anywhere in the range of 25° - 35° should be good; what works best will depend on your timber.
To ascertain the skew angle, paint the back of the blade with magic marker, insert into the plane and scribe across the blade. Then measure this scribed skew angle.

Not sure about UK sources - try Ray Iles.
LN would almost certainly be willing and able to make replacements. (Also check Ron Hock)

dunbarhamlin":3v95e3in said:
Not sure about UK sources - try Ray Iles.
LN would almost certainly be willing and able to make replacements. (Also check Ron Hock)

Thanks for the advices on blades geometry.

I've found replacement blades here:
http://www.toolbazaar.co.uk/Spares.asp
This is the description:
"Made in America as exact copies of the original blades for the pair of Stanley 98 and 99 side rebate planes. These should also fit the Record 2506 and Preston equivalents."
But, from the picture, it seems that them have not the side bevel (relief angle?).

Ron Hock do not have them in catalogue.

Lie Nielsen have replacement blades for Stanley 98/99.
Is it true that these blades fit also the Record 2506?

Cheers from Italy,
Andrea

Hi,

I can check for you tonight, if I remember. I have both 2506 and 98 99s.

I also have some steel to make some new blades for my 2506 as the orignals have bad pitting on the back.

Pete

Racers":3snftedg said:
Hi,

I can check for you tonight, if I remember. I have both 2506 and 98 99s.

Thank you very much, you are very kind.

Racers":3snftedg said:
I also have some steel to make some new blades for my 2506 as the orignals have bad pitting on the back.

Don't you have a bit of that steel to sell me? :)

Cheers fro Italy,
Andrea

Andrea":1uz05nbl said:
Hi all.

Which are the original skew and the bevel angles of the Record 2506 side rabbet planes?
These values ​​are the same for both the blades?
Which is the best honing guide to maintain these angles?
Do you know if there is still someone who produces blades for these planes?

Cheers from Italy,
Andrea

With such a super-low (anyone measured it?) bedding angle, the skew will need to be whatever matches the plane. I very much doubt that Record's production tolerances were good enough that they could make blades and planes that worked correctly "out of the box", so I wouldn't worry about matching a factory skew angle on the blade.

Bevel angle - not critical, I suspect. The bedding angle is low for reasons of access, but the cutting is on long grain.

BugBear

Hi, Andrea

Somethig came up last night so I didn't get round to checking.

I have some steel but just need to get round to making some blades, I could make you some at the same time.

Pete

Hi,

I dug out my side rebate planes and had a measure the bed angle on the Record 2505 and the Stanley is 15 degrees and they both are skewed at 33 degrees.
The blades are a shade under 1/2 inch and they will fit each other.

The bad news is I don't have any 1/2 inch O1 steel to make blades from, but I do have some 15mm that I can cut down, so possibly this weekend I will have a go at making 4.

Pete

Racers":r6nsuc3c said:
I dug out my side rebate planes and had a measure the bed angle on the Record 2505 and the Stanley is 15 degrees and they both are skewed at 33 degrees.
The blades are a shade under 1/2 inch and they will fit each other.

Many thanks, Pete, for these informations.

Racers":r6nsuc3c said:
The bad news is I don't have any 1/2 inch O1 steel to make blades from, but I do have some 15mm that I can cut down, so possibly this weekend I will have a go at making 4.

Many thanks again, Pete.
I've sent you a private message about this.

Back