Question about Morse Taper Collets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like to use some of these how not match the size I need

Mtc.jpg

I was wondering if anyone can tell me why there is no size 7mm or the other sizes it skips? Is there some kind of reducer sleeve I can buy somewhere?

Thanks

Tetsuaiga":234s3pam said:
I was wondering if anyone can tell me why there is no size 7mm or the other sizes it skips? Is there some kind of reducer sleeve I can buy somewhere?

Morse Taper collets are not designed to accommodate anything other than the nominal size, and they are only available in a limited range.

Essentially they are 'yesterday's technology', today the ER collet system is much more versatile, covering everything from 1mm to 26mm without a gap. OK, to cover that range you would have to have at least two chucks but the chucks are available with Morse taper shanks - though the largest (ER 40) has a minimum MT3 shank. The ER32 covers up to 20mm.

Ah I see. Yes I found the other type when looking around but they require a little more investment up front, i'm not sure they fit as close to the taper either, although never used or seen one in real life.

Thanks

Mainly engineering use rather than woodturning unless you’re doing Uber precision stuff or only turning from well dimensioned round blanks.

I use some MT collets in my lathe / mill as it is only hobby spec and allows me to get the cutter very close to the spindle in the mill attachment that a ER collet would not allow. I use ER40 collets in a dedicated collet holder in the lathe spindle.

(BTW - I do have a MT2 ER40 holder but it does look a bit weird!)

What use to use envisage for them - might help us give you the best advice?

Simon

J-G":14n8ay5z said:
Tetsuaiga":14n8ay5z said:

Morse Taper collets are not designed to accommodate anything other than the nominal size, and they are only available in a limited range.

Essentially they are 'yesterday's technology', today the ER collet system is much more versatile, covering everything from 1mm to 26mm without a gap. OK, to cover that range you would have to have at least two chucks but the chucks are available with Morse taper shanks - though the largest (ER 40) has a minimum MT3 shank. The ER32 covers up to 20mm.

Just in case others are doing research I must correct you there. ER40 goes up to 30mm and is available on a MT2 shank.

Oh wow thanks. I'd spent quite a long while on google looking for that.

I'm doing some deep boring work =P for woodwind instruments. I partly just wanted to use it instead of the drill chuck as I can slide the tailstock further back with a holder that doesnt stick out so far. I imagine they give a bit better accuracy/rigidity which could be nice for when I start the hole off with a regular drill bit. I know a lot of people doing woodwinds use metal lathes but wood is all I have now, though its a nice union graduate.

When I say regular drill bit I am using stub split tip or spotting drill bit before moving onto a long homemade D bit

I have the beall collet chuck which is worth a look. It is ER32, so max 20mm but allows the workpiece to pass through the headstock.

Rorschach":2axkl8e5 said:
Just in case others are doing research I must correct you there. ER40 goes up to 30mm and is available on a MT2 shank.
Apologies - - - I only use ER32 but know they go from ER11 to ER40 so did a quick search (looking at only two suppliers) neither of whom offer beyond 26mm, nor MT2 on the ER40.

I have used MT collets in the headstock of my midi-lathe to hold small things. I have not used them in my tailstock because in order to tighten them on to a drill bit you need a drawbar pulling from the opposite end of the collet. On a headstock the shaft turns so the drawbar spins with the collet but a tailstock, at least mine anyway, the end looking the headstock doesn't rotate but the hand wheel end spins with the hand wheel. So you can't tighten the collet and then advance it into the work because turning the hand wheel loosens the drawbar. If your tailstock works differently than mine then a collet could work. My drawbar is nothing more than a length of all thread rod and some nuts and washers.

A workaround for you might be to make a steady rest to hold the end of the wood while it spins and make a block of wood with a drill bit sized bushing to replace the tailstock. You would put a handle on the bit and feed it through the bushing into the wood.

Pete

Back