Quatersawn Oak Supplier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a supplier of said timber, either in the Essex area or via mail order/internet? My usual suppliers dont have any quatersawn, and SL hardwoods don't seem to have any on their site either..

Byron,
Not too far from you is Morgan Timber - see my sig for the map. They have most things and I'd be surprised if they can't supply QS oak.

PS. their web site is total rubbish but their yard is one of the biggest and best in the country. They used to welcome visitors but of late they discourage them for some reason. However, they will probably deliver what you need on the basis of a telephone call.

Byron
I've bought quite a bit of European Oak from Timbmet - the majority of it has been quartered. A very pleasant surprise!
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Ahh.. timbMet! I was searching for timbNet.. Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, I'll ring round tomorrow and see whats what. It's a shame that yards don't allow more access for choice, all of my local ones that I use have also stopped this which is a great shame.

waterhead37":j8925qlh said:
PS. their web site is total rubbish but their yard is one of the biggest and best in the country. They used to welcome visitors but of late they discourage them for some reason. However, they will probably deliver what you need on the basis of a telephone call.

Morgan's has to be seen to be believed, a true mecca. Sadly as Chris says you're not allowed to wander around on your own and they make you wear Hi Viz. Health and Safety I guess.

Oh and no one will sell it to you unless you say it in a New Yankee accent. "quataah saaahn oak" ;)

You could try C F Anderson, they are in Essex, I'm not sure of what stock they have but it's worth a phone call. Morgans will be able to help you if you draw a blank at CFA.
Simon

While we're talking QS Oak, can anyone recommend a supply in the Surrey/Hampshire area?

Byron,

Find a yard that is accommodating and ask for a 'centre-board'.
They should let you pick over the stack as long as you replace it. It will cost more than a board straight off the pile, but it will be less expensive than quarter-sawn and also probably twice as wide as a quarter-sawn board.

If you think about it, the centre-board has to be quarter sawn, each side of the heart. Also the boards to either side of the centre board exhibit the nice oak flecking, but not quite so much of it.

Hope this helps.
John :)

Best of luck then Byron. I would suggest Venables in Stafford, but they moved to a smaller yard and they don't keep anywhere near so wide a range as they did.

:)

Very few yards, if any, quarter saw timber in the sense that all the cuts are taken at a radius to the centre (like cake slices). It's immensely wasteful in the amount of timber that is discarded. The widest and most expensive boards come from the true quarters and then get progressively thinner as the quadrants are sliced.

What all the timber yards seem to do is to separate the centre boards, plus the board each side on very wide butts and sell those as 'quarter sawn’ at a premium.

This will yield quartered boards in the centre if they are cut radially to the pith with the radial figures (if that is the reason for buying quarter sawn boards), plus near quarter sawn from the boards either side which may not have the same degree of figure but should be equally stable in drying and subsequent stability.

If you select a waney T&T board like this, be prepared for up to 100% wastage (i.e half the wood) as you will cut out the pith and a few inches clearance either side, plus the sapwood and bark. If you have a use for this stuff, fine, if not it’s firewood.

One way to overcome the cost disadvantage is to make your own.

You quite simply obtain 2” or 3 “ wide stuff stuff and, even if it is T&T cut off centre to the log, a portion of it in the middle will present the growth rings at a right angle to the side. If you take slices at this point and edge-join them, you will have a quarter-sawn board. I often use this for making up drawer sides in Oak that will be dovetailed.

Argus, thanks for the info, I'll probably have to consider making my own as you suggest. I just ran around a couple more suppliers and none have QS as a stock item, and neither would they specifically sort the centreboards.

Morgans however did say that I could come over and sort through their boards and I might get some figured pieces, but their prices were quite high. £90 cuft for Euro oak £50 cuft for American White

I think I might be better of going with my local place and buying some of their bog standard oak joinery boards and forget about having some nice figuring.

ByronBlack":3losz7wy said:
Morgans however did say that I could come over and sort through their boards and I might get some figured pieces, but their prices were quite high. £90 cuft for Euro oak £50 cuft for American White

Blimey that is expensive Byron. I've just paid £27 cu ft today for prime AWO kiln dried. We use Argus's tip quite a lot and it works very well.

I realise they are based in Yorkshire but i thought John Boddy delivered nationally. They may be worth a call. The prices you have quoted there a real water take.

Even EO Burtons who are local to me have quoted £40cuft for 'prime' white oak. I think they realise I'm a hobbyist and given me a crazy price, it works out cheaper for me to order what I need in running meters from SL hardwoods, but ideally I wanted to get it local to save on delivery costs. I always seem to struggle when it comes to sourcing reasonably priced hardwood, I might have to resort to re-sawing some beech I've got in the shed instead.

James Lathams have a branch near Thurrock, I think. Haven't used them for a few years, but a while back they moved and I thought it was to the Thurrock area. They could be worth a phone call.

Just had a look on their site Thurrock is Panels but Purfleet is Timber

I have several boards in store that I will eventually get round to making into doors. They are t&t boards but I pick as many as I could from the centre of the log as has been suggested. The local yards round here still let me sort through and get what I want. If you can take a trip up to Suffolk or south Norfolk I could suggest a couple of places, the smaller yards are the best for that.

Johnny B

Back