Quality American Cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markymark12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been trying to find some nice american cherry that does not contain sap both faces, i saw someone else on another forum referring to a company called Thorogoods in Essex who specialize in it and wondered if anyone had brought from there. It is a bit of a trek for me from the south but i never complain about a little traveling when it comes to buying some good timber. Anyone in the Essex area know of them :?: :?:

Hello Markymark,
Thorogoods is my 'local' supplier & I've never had any problems with them. I usually check moisture with a meter on selected boards & so far have never found a 'dud'.
Past purchases include american white oak, american cherry, and iroko. THey used to let you climb over the pile & pull out what you want, but due to health & safety issues this is no longer done. Presently you have to make an appointment (one days notice by phone is usually ok) & tell them what lengths & section you are after. They will then bring a stack round to the front office area (or elsewhere covered if bad weather) for you to pick through & choose individual pieces. If you want longer pieces crosscut on site for easy transport (say, in a car) this is usually done FOC after you have made your selection & chalk marked where to cut. Delivery reasonably local (I'm about 10 miles away) is charged, depending on how much stuff you're having. Usually about 3 days wait for delivery.
THe american cherry I had was structurally ok - the main fault was checking from the ends. THe planks seemed mostly quite small widths so there was more heartwood than with larger diameter species, or it may be just what I was shown on that day. It worked OK but was very bendy & needed jigs / support when processing thin sections to prevent bowing during the cut.
I have no connection other than as a customer. THey are generally helpful but it does vary with the particular individual attending to you. If you want something just ask for it eg forklifting half a pile up to retreive middle boards. So far they've never said no to any reasonable request, but some assistants are more helpful than others & volunteer to assist you - others need asking ! They can always say no . . .
Hope this assist , regards Catface

It sounds like Thorogoods has changed a bit, I went to them, erm about 4 years ago, look here, did not get on very well. The desk is still not finished and I have bought more cherry from Good Timber for it. :oops: :roll:
You can now see why I started the box requested for a christmas present last month. :shock:

Thank you All

All most interesting, a think a lot depends on what they received with their last shipment.
i have tried all my local yards and i fancy a trip so i will give them a call and have a day out.

Thanks for the input.
Mark :)

Back