Qalo rings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A popular woodworking podcast I listen to has this product as one of their sponsors.

I must admit, it grinds my gears when I hear them promoting it. I can understand (kindof) why someone might want to buy one as a fashionable item that is safe in the workshop. But what I really don't understand is the idea of using it as a switch out for your wedding ring??

Gah, I mean why?!

If its dangerous to wear your real ring, don't wear it, ..makes sense. Why an earth would you feel the need to replace it with a piece of silicone that has no value/meaning/memories?? Do these people have to be reminded that they're married when in their shop? or is it to remind others?? :p

I just don't get it.

I should also point out that I am not married. Maybe that has something to do with it? :)

I don't wear my ring often but I do take it off if I'm doing anything that might lead to hand injury.

I wouldn't bother with a rubber one.

I just had to google Qalo Rings to see what you were on about.

I suppose if you have an audience of stunningly attractive sexy girls watching you in the workshop like I do, herself indoors would want them to know that you were married (but without the risk of a metal ring).

Never heard of them until now. It's a bit of an odd sponsorship arrangement if you ask me. Maybe there are bling-toting wood workers out there that simply must give the appearance of wearing a ring or two... but it's gonna be a niche market!

ha ha, the cheerleaders in my workshop think i should get a Qalo ring but they had other suggestions where it should be worn...!!!!

I assume it's Mr Claggert you are listening too.
I chuckled about it, seems a bit daft really, and having been hung up by my wrist and had to cut a few rings off I don't wear anything around my hands when I'm in the workshop.

perhaps a better thing to tout would be a ring holder and watch stand for mounting to your workshop door. :)

amazing what tat can be sold if you have a good PR dept. :)

Are they touting it as a temporary replacement during sports and dangerous activity or as a complete 24/7 ring though?

And as for they why of it? Because they can as they can probably convince enough people to buy them to sustain a small business. Can't say I have an issue with it to be honest; wear what you want for the reasons you feel fit.

This pipper's not coming off..
WIN_20160707_17_23_24_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WIN_20160707_17_23_24_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160707_17_23_24_Pro.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 225
I lost two large 18ct wedding rings as I always cut the back and rounded the ends - when they catch in something you're likely to lose them ... but keep your finger. I worked about 40 years ago with a crane driver who while working as a banksman for another crane had his finger ripped out of his hand when a square wire tie went up through his ring after he had signalled the driver to wind the load up quickly because of the wind - it put me off wearing one when around machines.

transatlantic":dflr6pdl said:
That must be very uncomfortable? :p

Actually not in the slightest, and I suppose the fact that it sits below the level of the surrounding flesh is the reason it never catches in anything.

However, I do feel that I'm on borrowed time with it and re-casting/re-sizing both of our wedding rings is on the 'to do' list.

Mike that really doesn't look healthy. :? I'm going to avoid any tight ring jokes but blimey. Get it cut off an enlarged man!

A friend of my son is a trained jeweller/smith, I shall ask him to stretch my ring the next time I see him. Can't see any problems with that.

There, I doubled the 'entendre' for you.

Having spent my life working with things that either whizzed round very quickly, or just loved to arc across to the nearest available metal object, I have never worn any jewellery. My wife bought me a bracelet before we were wed, and I somehow "lost it" very shortly after.
Strangely, it has just been found again in my sisters possession. She says she got it from my mum over 30 years ago and didnt know where it came from. Its now valuable as pre 70's silver. I've told my wife she can have it. Arent I good?

I once refused a good service engineers job because it meant wearing a tie. Seeing Mike's gold ring gives me the heeby jeebys.

monkeybiter":2eebpju9 said:
A friend of my son is a trained jeweller/smith, I shall ask him to stretch my ring the next time I see him. Can't see any problems with that.

I understand there's a few bars in Cardiff offering the same service.

monkeybiter":1yjblmjm said:

There, I doubled the 'entendre' for you.

He won't stretch it as such as he'll have to cut it off. He'll probably solder a piece in.

I lost my first one surfing, broke the second in the gym (could have done with a silicone one then!) and so we took the remnants and a few other gold bits to a manufacturing jeweller in Hockely (Birmingham jewellery quarter) who made my current one from all of the bits. It has a lifetime guarantee in that you would have to hit it with a lump hammer to make any imprint although my left arm is now slightly longer than the right.

monkeybiter":2qop34gq said:
transatlantic":2qop34gq said:
That must be very uncomfortable? :p

Actually not in the slightest, and I suppose the fact that it sits below the level of the surrounding flesh is the reason it never catches in anything.

However, I do feel that I'm on borrowed time with it and re-casting/re-sizing both of our wedding rings is on the 'to do' list.

My ring had worn so much it snapped at about 30 odd years, so my wife bought me a new one. When the time came to replace my wife's ring because it was too small and she couldn't wear it, I took both our old rings to a local jeweller had them make a new one from the two. I had them add a diamond for every 10 years (so 4 at that time). Makes the "new" one special I felt and it wasn't outrageously expensive £360 from memory could have been less.

Timbo

I did make a copy of mine in sterling silver (real one is white gold). I wear it unless im in the shop. Cost a few quid or so for the blank. Means the expensive one can stay safe at home. Wife knows but cant tell which one is which.

timbo614":1r5mrvga said:
it wasn't outrageously expensive £360 from memory could have been less.
Timbo

I could get a brand new wife for that, I think they advertise on this forum >>>>>>>>

On second thoughts brand new might refer to the sex of the 'bride', so I'll stick with the first plan. (hammer)

Latest posts

Back