Pyro`d hollow form!(update)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
After seeing the vase on Toms site I thought I`d have a go and this is the result. The wood I use for burning projects I hasten to add tend to be very bland so I don`t think it can be classed as `losing the beauty of the grain` when there isn`t any as I read on one turning site a while ago. Lid is Walnut, form was a log I`ve been drying out not sure may be Sycamore?. Haven`t oiled it yet maybe use Lemon oil? I think my finials are getting thinner at last :) .

IMG_1042.jpg

Comments welcome as always! ;)
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

This is my favourite piece of yours so far.

I think as well as turning a beautiful form and a damn fine finial it's the pyroing that really does it for me. Simple, organised, organic shapes are really working well on your pieces and this is my favo.

Top notch m8.

:)

Cheers for that Lee. Never quite know how some of my stuff will go down with others. I make a conscious decision not to burn nicely grained or spalted wood and only use bland stuff so I suppose its ok to do that?? I gather colouring or any sort of decorating is a bit iffy with some turners where it seems to betray the wood but I don`t think it does. Just my twopennuth :D
Regards
Steve

I say anything goes Steve.

I've no stains at the mo so doing a lot of natural stuff.

I like all your pyro work, not into scenes an what not, so your simple shapes etc. really work gor me.

=D>

Hi Steve,
Thats a good piece of work and i like the style of the pattern, it made me think of a leopard print. The finial looks good to me but i am no expert on creating finials and mine are usually more industrial.
So its a thumbs up from for shape of form, pattern and finial.
Regards,
Ian

Hi Steve, I keep comming back to this for another look before passing comment. I think the idea for the pattern is wonderful and leaving the clean ring around the opening was absolutely the right thing to do, so very well done on those counts.
However the edges around the patterned areas don't look crisp as if the heat from your pyrography pen has burnt a bit beyond the intended edges.The lid seems to sit on the piece without continuing the line of the form and the finial although not too tall as has been suggested could do with a bit more shape and delicacy.
This is not meant to be as negative as it sounds as the idea is brilliant and the pattern does look really good, its just a few monor suggestions.

JT

Thanks for the comments chaps, appreciated :lol:
Cheers for pointing that darkening of the edges out Johnny hadn`t noticed it before. Just used a bit of 400 and Lemon oil which has lightened them now. I usually have a gouge line separating burnt and unburnt wood so the slight scorching doesn`t show. It seems different wood burn differently as a pattern I tried earlier on some Ash didn`t scorch beyond the line but this lighter Sycamore (I think) is more susceptible to it have to note that in future.
Cheers
Steve

Like Johnny I kept coming back to give it another coating of looking at.

Giraffe keeps coming to the fore for some reason :lol: The form of the vessel certain is in keeping with the expected these days, not that I have any real appreciation of the finer points.

Admire your patience and ability to space match the patterns around the piece, personally I think I would have preferred a lighter brown effect rather than the intense black but that's just me coming from an age where sepia prints were more in vogue than high contrast colours I suspect.

Fantastic piece Steve. I really like the colour contrast, as well as the forms shape, very relaxing to look at.

Dan

CHJ":2qet1ami said:
I would have preferred a lighter brown effect.

You really do go for Giraffes don`t you Chas :lol: :lol: .
I was thinking where I`d seen that effect before but couldn`t put me finger on it now I know :D
Steve

Oops lost the `quote` thing somehow?

:lol: CHJ it was under your delete key.

:D

This form just made me smile, love everything about it ---- except the finial, something just not quite right. seems too parallel.

The form itself is lovely, the pyro, the shape, the patern.

Loz

Great looking form Steve :D
I think i would like to have seen this piece completely covered with the pyro,with no pattern.Looks like you have got a good effect with it :?

Yep, definitely getting there. They are not so easy to get looking good, I think I did a few dozen before I started getting the knack. Do you do them in a chuck or between centres?

Pete

Back